Senior Research Associate Protein Science Beerse Belgium,
Johnson & Johnson (company)
Janssen Research and Development, a member of the Johnson and Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting a Senior Research Associate Scientist for the Department of Small Molecule Protein Science, who will be based in Beerse, Belgium.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, screening and protein science coupled with an ability to work globally and collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Protein Science department within Lead Discovery is responsible for the delivery of proteins to enable assay development, HTS, pharmacological profiling and structural biology (X-ray crystallography and NMR). The global Protein Science Team, consisting of scientists working in Spring House, PA, USA and in Beerse, Belgium, collaborates closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams and with external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect to key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
The Senior Research Associate Scientist, Protein Science will:
- Join a team that is responsible for the timely delivery of high-quality protein reagents to collaborating teams in Discovery Sciences and Janssen Therapeutic Areas.
- Participate in the design and implementation of protein expression and purification strategies that provide active proteins for use in assays and structural biology.
- Have a strong preference for hands-on work in the laboratory (> 80 % of the time).
- Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
- Develop and test innovative approaches to protein production including evaluation of new technologies.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and report experimental data.
- Work under limited supervision with a high level of autonomy.
- Perform additional responsibilities (lab or equipment responsible, safety,) as appropriate.
- Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
- A Master s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Structural Biology or alike and at least 5 years of work experience in recombinant protein production or a Bachelor s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or alike and at least 10 years of work experience in recombinant protein production is required.
- Expertise in protein construct design is required.
- Expertise in the recombinant expression of proteins in various heterologous systems (E. coli bacteria, baculovirus/insect cells, mammalian cell lines, cell-free systems, &) is required.
- Expertise in the purification of soluble proteins using different chromatographic techniques (affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, size exclusion, &) is required.
- Expertise in protein characterization using techniques such as electrophoresis, analytical gel filtration, mass spectrometry, dynamic light scattering is preferred.
- Expertise in biophysics and/or enzymology is an asset.
- Expertise in automation for protein expression and/or purification is preferred.
- Good written and oral communication skills are required.
- Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred.
- Experience working with external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Find a Job Find Candidates