Manage and oversee facility central plant operations and key vivarium equipment such as cage washers and animal drinking water system. Responsible for energy management and minimizing utility costs. Provide design review and manage construction projects, value engineering, and life cycle cost analysis. Provide engineering and maintenance support for maintenance management program. Manage facilities department employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide engineering analysis and input to the facility maintenance team to ensure world class management and operation of facility and cGLP related compliance.
- Manage electric, gas, water, waste water budgets and related financial controls.
- Perform design review, value engineering, and construction management for facility projects.
- Perform energy audits and implement energy savings opportunities.
- Perform in house design on small projects.
- Manage the installation and repair of infrastructure directly supporting the vivarium.
- Manage the installation, maintenance, operation and adjustments made to the HVAC equipment, i.e. pumps, boilers, air handling units, air compressors, cooling towers, and chillers.
- Track, trend and analyze utility data.
- Operate and manage building automation system (BAS).
- Provide engineering analysis and oversee scheduled preventative maintenance on a wide variety HVAC and electrical equipment.
- Cross train in-house staff on facilities operation & maintenance.
- Oversee daily operational activities and supervise a group of employees which may include lower-level supervisors. Ensure optimum group performance.
- Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
- Recommend short-range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and succession plans.
- May assist in development of departmental budget.
- As required, oversee maintenance of group training manual and training records.
- Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols].
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) or equivalent in engineering (electrical, mechanical, civil) or related discipline.
- Experience: Eight to ten years directly-related experience in corporate or industrial engineering with an emphasis in central utility plants and or energy management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Professional engineering license strongly preferred.
- Other: Prior budgetary experience preferred. Experience in managing staff in a fast pace and dynamic environment. Knowledge GMP and/or GLP compliance. HVAC design and controls experience. Construction management experience. Strong problem solving capabilities. Ability to manage outside vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet