Senior Payroll Tax and Garnishments Specialist Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Payroll Tax and Garnishment Senior Specialist is responsible for ensuring compliance with Federal, State, and Local payroll tax and garnishment regulations for the US and Puerto Rico. The scope of this position includes partnering with ADP to ensure employee withholding taxes and garnishments are accurately collected, remitted and reported to all Federal, State and Local agencies and/or Court/Payee(s) and ensuring payroll processes are in compliance with existing regulations and that new regulations are identified and implemented promptly by Merck and/or ADP. The Senior Specialist will be responsible for researching payroll tax related issues and providing recommendations for remediation and sustainable process improvements within the payroll process. They will be the acting as lead for all regulatory inquiries, audits, and demands for information related to payroll tax withholding and filing. He/she will also partner with Internal and external client groups to ensure proper employee taxation with regards to complex compensation elements, such as international relocation. The Senior Speicalist will provide oversight of all year-end and quarter end activities, inclusive of providing data and adjustments necessary for accurate tax filings and W-2 reporting by ADP. He/she will work closely with ADP to identify needs for amended tax filings; including W-2c’s. The Senior Specialist will be responsible for overseeing the ADP Wage and Garnishment Processing. They will resolve escalated employee cases and inquiries. They will also provide tax expertise related to legal entity creation and dissolutions, inclusive of mergers, acquisitions, and divestures. He/she will support payroll process improvement initiatives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Internal Company Processes & Policies
- Ensure compliance in all payroll tax related withholdings, remittances, and filings by partnering with ADP in accordance with established timelines.
- Directly interface with ADP to ensure that all Payroll Tax data is provided accurately and efficiently.
- Maintain documentation on tax remittances and all quarterly/annual tax filings as required by law.
- Schedule and conduct all Year End Meetings for W-2/W-2PR reporting with ADP and internal Merck resources; in order to ensure accurate and timely issuance of W2s and 1099s.
- Respond promptly to inquiries by regulatory agencies. This may be in the form of audits or correspondence.
- Oversee ADP Wage and Garnishment processing and assist in resolving any issues.
- Provide support on all mergers and divestures.
- Assists with payroll vendor administration and account management activities for all taxes and garnishments, as required
- Monitors internal controls to verify that input and processing of all payroll data including wages, garnishments, applicable wage taxes and other miscellaneous wage/benefit programs, calculations, and deductions meet expectations, in conjunction with best practices
- Creates and reviews audit and management reports at the appropriate time in accordance with the production schedule.
- Participates in ADP/company meetings for the development and ongoing administration of payroll, provides documentation on issues and works collaboratively with ADP, third-party vendors, and internal company divisions toward timely resolution.
- Ensures internal controls established related to payroll taxes are maintained and monitored on a continuing basis.
- Researches, investigates and reports all problems, corrections, and changes related to ADP payroll programs, and responds to related inquiries and escalations in a timely manner.
- Reviews and troubleshoots garnishment related issues.
- Participates in making updates to Payroll Standard Operating Procedures
- Supports Payroll Associate Director in all Internal/External Audits
- Works with ADP on changes, updates, and/or additions to any current processes, to include areas of processing, Employee Service Center impact and updates to the COS Knowledge Base
Ongoing Process Improvements
- Assists Payroll Associate Director with the development and maintenance of internal client policy documentation related to payroll processing
- Provides recommendations on changes to policy, procedures or rules that influence or affect the administration of payroll, and communicates recommendations and business decisions to the Payroll Manager, as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline
- Minimum 6 years experience working in a payroll, or related accounting function.
- Strong understanding of payroll tax and compliance – including payroll tax reporting
- In depth understanding of Wage and Garnishment processing
- Ability to prioritize effectively and work under tight deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills along with high personal integrity, credibility, and energy
- Experience in using HR Information Systems (HRIS) for both data storage and analysis
- Experience in coordinating and monitoring payroll processing functions or vendors performing these functions
- Knowledge of Merck HR business processes through experience working with interdependent groups (i.e. Finance and Human Resources) that are impacted by the payroll process.
- Audit experience with an accounting firm or regulatory agency.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Sr. Spclst, Payroll Accounting
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Payroll, HR, Law, Information Systems, Compliance, Finance, Human Resources, Legal, Technology