Senior Operations Manager, Lab Sciences - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Responsible for monitoring the overall conduct of operational activities performed in support of non- clinical and clinical research studies. Direct daily operations and manage all personnel related issues.
- Provide operational guidance to effectively manage staff in assigned support areas and streamline workflow within the department.
- Work directly with all levels of management to address cross-department and intra-department technical and operational issues.
- Manage projects and provide oversight for groups specializing in operational support
- Provide operational resources for the conduct of non-clinical and clinical studies by monitoring the daily scheduling of support staff and make recommendations to management for expected additional support staffing needs.
- Resolve operational issues inter- and intra-departmentally (e.g. troubleshooting procedural, instrumentation/equipment, technique issues).
- Review and assess processes, procedures, and services to identify areas needing improvement.
- Oversee interactions between Laboratory Sciences Operations, scientific groups, and all applicable departments regarding scheduling staff and coordinating study-related support activities in relation to execution of the study work as scheduled. Identify lack of resources and communicate department roadblocks to senior leadership.
- Ensure regulatory compliance within the department.
- Keep abreast of current trends and practices in field of expertise.
- Oversee supplies ordering, receipt, utilization, inventory and disposition, chemical stock, storage of chemicals and test/control articles. Ensure operational availability of all laboratory equipment.
- Manage activities of assigned group(s) to ensure optimum performance of the group/function.
- Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
- Ensure optimum performance of group function. Determine and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Identify training and development needs of direct reports. Develop and oversee the implementation of departmental training programs, including orientation; monitor training programs to ensure ongoing effectiveness.
- Assist in the development of short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements. Assist in the development of a departmental plan for backup and succession of supervisory staff and key operational support personnel.
- Assist in the development and recommendation of departmental budget. Authorize expenditures in accordance with budget. Approve budget and expenses of subordinates.
- Develop and maintain departmental systems and SOPs.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols].
- Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in biology, chemistry or related field.
- Experience: 6 – 8 years related technical experience in a non-clinical and/or clinical research laboratory. Previous management/supervisory experience in a GLP/GCP environment required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None
- Other: Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Proficiency in the use of standard software including Microsoft® Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. and with standard laboratory calculations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet