Senior Medical Science Liaison (Sr. MSL) ~ Field based - Texas - United States
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (Senior MSL) role is a field-based position and reports to the Director, Medial Science Liaisons (Americas). The Senior MSL provides fair balanced, objective, scientific information and education about Santen’s product(s) through peer-to-peer interactions with thought leaders, investigators, and other healthcare providers to better patient outcomes. The Senior MSL ensures that communications regarding Santen products are fair balanced, truthful and not misleading. The Senior MSL will develop and maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders to provide complex medical and scientific support for Santen initiatives in selected therapeutic areas. The Senior MSL demonstrates expertise and knowledge of products, patient treatment trends, clinical trials, and scientific activities within disease state areas of interest. The Senior MSL role incorporates additional responsibilities including training and/or mentoring of other MSLs, and leadership roles on cross-functional projects.
MAJOR DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Establish and maintain scientifically credible peer-to-peer scientific relationships with national, regional, and local medical thought leaders (MTLs) in addition to other healthcare providers
- Viewed as a Scientific Peer by MTLs
- Facilitate strategic partnerships with scientific/clinical experts and serve as an enterprise-level point of contact with organizations including but not limited to -
- Guideline development
- Cooperative groups
- Serve as a resource of clinical and scientific information for internal stakeholders
- Provide strategic insights to internal stakeholders on emerging clinical and scientific trends
- Assist in the development and execution of clinically relevant regional medical meetings (e.g., advisory boards, consultant meetings, and investigator meetings)
- Identification and verification of investigators and sites for company-sponsored clinical trials
- Provides MSL and Medical Affairs’ team with regular clinical trial updates
- Supports study team in identifying strategies/tactics for successful study execution
- Serves as a liaison for the submission and review of Investigator Sponsored Trials (IST) proposals
- May work cross-functionality to provide balanced and accurate information to top regional formulary decision makers and P&T committee members
- Assists in training and/or Mentoring of new MSL team members
- Promotes collaboration and cooperation within the team and cross-functionally
- Takes on a leadership role on enduring/business critical projects, often with Medical Director(s)
- Demonstrates strategic planning and prioritization of work activities beyond defined geography
- Ensures all activities, interactions and communications are compliant with Santen policies and SOPs, and adhere to OIG, ACCME, and PhRMA guidelines/policies
- Other duties as assigned
- Interacts directly with Clinical Development, R&D, Biostatistics, Drug Safety, and Regulatory Affairs to fully understand development programs, regulatory and medical strategies, and develop key scientific and communication objectives for the therapeutic area to develop credible, fair balanced, timely scientific materials and educational programs
- Attend conferences, symposia or other meetings and staff Medical Affairs booths as necessary and as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- PharmD, PhD, or MD.
- A minimum of 6 years of related pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience preferred
- Experience working with managed care organizations and health economics training preferred
- Strong comprehension of disease states, and knowledge of differential algorithms for treatment decisions and experience in disease states of interest to Santen
- An expert understanding of the health care delivery system, including the managed care arena and its impact on patient care, regional medical care and the pharmaceutical industry
- Ability to identify the unmet medical, educational, and research needs at a local & regional level
- Ability to interpret key scientific data and translate the findings to meet educational and research needs
- Understanding of the design and execution of research studies and strategic implications
- Exhibits high degree of emotional intelligence
- Proven ability to drive results
- Demonstrates ability to deal with ambiguity and thrive in an ever-changing environment
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The individual must be able to:
- Spend considerable time at computer.
- Stand, kneel and stoop for filing.
- Use the telephone and speak with external individuals.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb and lift up to 25 pounds
- Travel: 50% - 60%
WORK ENVIRONMENT and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.