Senior Manufacturing Engineer - United States
Reporting to the Senior Manager of World Wide Engineering, the Senior Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing manufacturing process technologies for BD PAS products. Primary activity shall be to apply machine design and troubleshooting experience with automated equipment to successfully launch large capital projects. The goal of these projects will be to successfully implement Quality improvements, Capacity expansions and/or Cost Reductions. Works closely with R&D, Quality and manufacturing locations to implement these new technologies.
- Supports projects by taking a lead role in the overall equipment design, fabrication, implementation and optimization of varied and complex portions of new production lines.
- Provides theoretical and hands-on mechanical engineering support to manufacturing operations. Proven ability to work in a team environment which identifies root causes then develops and pursues plans toward their resolution.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of a wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in a manufacturing process technology. Has general knowledge of other process technologies. Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, and practical.
- Contributes to the completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions would result in serious program delays.
Discretion / Latitude
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- This position will serve a technical liaison between the PAS business Unit and manufacturing locations.
- Works with cross functional team to investigate & implement solutions to major manufacturing issues.
- Must be able to develop and execute validations protocols, engineering studies and design of experiments.
- Manages projects to design, prototype, build and commercialize manufacturing process equipment. Initiate, plan, execute, monitor, control, and close these projects.
- Manages capital spending and project schedules.
- Develops specifications and acceptance protocols to purchase production equipment.
- Manages vendors in the design, development and implementation of manufacturing equipment.
- Applies six-sigma and lean manufacturing methodologies to optimize manufacturing equipment.
- Develops processes by designing and/or performing experimental testing, data analysis, preparation of reports, and providing recommendations.
- Provides input into project technical strategy.
- Applies BD-standardized manufacturing technologies
Cross Functional Collaboration
- Works with Quality, R&D, Clinical and Regulatory team members to ensure successful implementation of projects.
- Works with diverse functions and manufacturing sites to achieve project goals.
- Collaborates with teams of engineers and technicians and coordinate resources to achieve project and business goals.
- Perform Installation, Operational Qualification, PO and Engineering Studies related to PLC, HMI, Visions systems and other automation device modifications to actual or new installations.
- Provide automation technical support to teams in investigations such as: Corrective and Preventive Actions, Customer Complaints and Quality Notifications.
- Manage capital budgets and provides status reports to management in a timely basis.
- Follows division policies and guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required. Mechanical Engineering degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of mechanical engineering experience, ideally supporting manufacturing operations.
- Ability to travel 50% during the first year due to major project.