Senior Manager, Government & External Affairs - Canada
- Our company is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives.
- Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health.
- We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge.
- With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
- There is a requirement for a Senior Manager, Government & External Affairs, Western Canada.
- This role reports to the Director, Government & External Affairs.
- The role holds responsibility and accountability for developing and executing strategic plans to achieve market access goals designed to “gain, maintain and improve” reimbursement for company brands. This is a field-based role, with a preference for candidates based in either Alberta or British Columbia.
- The successful candidate will be knowledgeable in relevant areas of the western provinces payer reimbursement operations and decision making.
- The ability to leverage key stakeholder relationships and to communicate effectively both externally and internally will be required.
- The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast paced, action oriented, collaborative and collegial culture.
- He/she is a natural leader, a self-starter with a passion to make a difference.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while also participating as a core team member will be critical to success in the role.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating on the development and implementation of strategies and tactical plans with Therapeutic Teams and internal colleagues.
- Providing strategic insights and recommendations on drug reimbursement policy issues to all relevant internal colleagues/terms across the organization.
- Identifying and engaging relevant stakeholders in support of developing government, academic, physician and patient advocates to support national and regional reimbursement initiatives, regional and national policies and regional patient support.
- Effectively communicating product value and value proposition to key stakeholders.
- Developing, recommending and negotiating win-win proposals with government payers and key influencers/stakeholders to gain product funding.
- Working with the Western provinces to ensure submission requirements are met and earliest possible decisions are achieved.
- Building strategic relationships with government officials and elected representatives that cultivate a favorable business environment, on both the reimbursement and public policy levels.
- Promoting our company as a leader in the industry and a strong partner of government to positively shape our business environment, consistent with customer needs.
- Identifying and coordinating regional initiatives and managing budget allocated to these regional activities.
- Championing company values.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (~30%+)
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- BSc/BA required; science and/or political science degree helpful but not required
- Minimum 5 years in the pharmaceutical / biotech industries with at least 3 years in a Government/External Affairs role
- Strong knowledge of provincial and 3rd party payer systems
- Pharmacare experience required
- Demonstrated success in achieving optimal market access for complex multi-product portfolios
- Bilingual (written and spoken) English and French is preferred