Senior Manager, Field Force Excellence - United States
Intercept is a rapidly growing global biopharmaceutical company headquartered in New York City with R&D based in San Diego and the International headquarters based in London. Our focus is on bettering the lives of patients through the development and commercialization of novel therapeutics to treat progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept’s first product OCALIVA® (obeticholic acid [OCA], a farnesoid X receptor agonist) was approved and launched in the United States in 2016 for the treatment of primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) and was granted conditional approval for the treatment of PBC by the European Commission. PBC is a rare, autoimmune cholestatic liver disease that can put patients at risk for life-threatening complications. OCALIVA® represents the first new treatment option for people living with PBC in nearly 20 years.
We are busy building our future together as beyond PBC, OCALIVA® is being evaluated for potential indications across a variety of additional chronic liver diseases, including nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), and biliary atresia. The FDA has granted OCA breakthrough therapy designation for the treatment of NASH with liver fibrosis.
Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is one of the most common liver diseases (estimated to affect 3–5% of the U.S. adult population) and is expected to be the leading cause for liver transplantation by 2020. Currently there are no approved treatments for NASH. Intercept is in a unique position in NASH as OCA is the first and to date only product that successfully showed efficacy in two key endpoints in a randomized Ph II study. OCA is currently being evaluated in an international Phase III trial (REGENERATE) for the treatment of NASH that initiated in 2015 and has been fully enrolled for the patients required for the key interim analysis. In addition to REGENERATE there are several other studies that are underway or soon will be to help to build a broader scientific foundation of knowledge for OCA in NASH.
The Senior Manager of Field Force Excellence will be responsible for managing and driving operational excellence and instilling world-class selling disciplines and capabilities, including adoption of related processes and tools and driving cross-functional commercial collaboration and alignment.
The primary objective of this position is to increase the effectiveness of the Commercial Operations and Sales Execution Team by delivering on three key principles: 1) Commercial and Sales Partnership, 2) Regional and Local Insight, and 3) Field Based/Account Planning and Execution. The success of this candidate will depend on effective planning, ensuring alignment and standardization of sales execution and deployment of innovative process improvement in connecting with commercial partners on field-based initiatives.
• Commercial and Sales Partnership – The Senior Manager of Field Force Excellence will work directly with members of the U.S. commercial and sales teams and advise on sales strategy, communication and deployment model, financial issues, own and drive key programs and the creative process for plans of action.
• Regional and Local Insights – This position will be accountable for analytical problem solving, provide deep business insight and assist in implementing programs. The Senior Manager of Field Force Excellence will be required to support organization of various field-based committees, the collection and synthesis of meeting output, and finally circulation of key findings to the broader commercial team.
• Field Based/Account Planning and Execution – This position will be accountable for detailed, scalable, accurate and flexible business processes that support sales decision making and deployment. The successful candidate will think strategically at a national level, develop approaches that facilitate consistent management of the business execution, and build successful relationships with stakeholders on the commercial team.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
• Provide insight and advice on strategies into achieving operational excellence (sales execution model, financial issues and working directly with commercial team members)
• Provide guidance on operational processes such as communication and deployment management, both to the commercial teams and sales teams within the wider organization
• Advise sales management with the intent to improve sales capabilities
• Provide program management and designated connection of key initiatives between commercial and sales team
• Provide guidance and clarity to field sales team as to how our communication and deployment model works, backend systems and processes with thorough documentation and definitions which enable predictable, accountable, and timely delivery of initiatives
• Take leadership on a variety of projects which support the field-based business, sales analytics, program management, fiscal year and correction of error projects, etc.
• Support strategic sales planning
• Establish and define/run the sales cadence through development and coordination of field-based business processes and associated sales management control systems
• Develop and document business practices, planning guidelines and business reporting
• Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA preferred
• Minimum of 6+ years previous sales operations and marketing experience, preferably in a manager position with smaller pharma or biotech company
• Prior experience includes a particular focus on field-based team strategy/performance/data analytics, sales force deployment, customer targeting/segmentation, CRM experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Passion for sales and understanding of the specialist sales model, preferably with relevant experience
• Passion for new and innovative approaches to communication, services and sales models (experience with patient-centric selling is a plus)
• Excellent project and program management skills
• Understanding that results and relationships are critically important and intertwined
• Strong communication skills with the ability to work and lead through influence in a cross-group environment
• Understanding how consumption is critical to the success of our team moving forward
• Solid capability to confront unstructured problems with structured solution approaches
• Strength in developing and executing strategy while applying sales excellence principles
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Learning agility and ‘scalability’ to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
• Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion; is a champion of the “One Team, One Mission” spirit
• Ability to have fun!