This job is currently Archived,
Senior Legal Counsel - China
Posted on : 23 March 2017
- Assist implementing the Company’s merger, acquisition, joint venture and divestiture strategy; help manage outside legal resource to work on the negotiations of transactions.
- Contract Review and Negotiation: draft and review various contracts and legal documents, balance and minimize risks, gain greater commercial benefits and ensure the Company is protected legally.
- Compliance & Corporate Governance Issues: monitor and improve process for corporate compliance with applicable laws and regulations in the areas of commercial, anti-trust and other legal/regulatory requirements to advance the Company’s business objectives in China.
- Develop strong hands-on working relationships with business partners at all levels of the Company.
- Actively communicate and follow up on obligations and opportunities arising in connection with commercial transactions.
- Litigation/Claims/Government Investigation: initiate, defend and settle of claims, demands and litigations throughout China; monitor compliance with the claims policy and procedures and progress of court, employment tribunal, arbitration proceedings, and other regulatory investigation in order to limit the Company’s exposure to legitimate and enforceable claims.
- Retention and supervision of outside legal counsel for both litigation and general legal services (regulatory, labor, anti-trust, customs, etc.)
- Employment Issues: advise management on laws affecting hiring, overseas training, dismissal, redundancy, disciplinary actions, compensation, benefits and training of the Company staff.
- Training: provide training to China employees on various legal subjects.
- Chinese law degree at a well-respected, accredited PRC university.
- Candidate must have passed the PRC National Bar Exam.
- Candidate possessing an additional degree in international commercial law or LLM degree from an accredited overseas law school or from a well-respected university would be a plus.
- Fluent in written and spoken Mandarin; fluent in written and spoken English.
- Minimum 12-15 years post graduate experience overall, the bulk of which will likely be with either a reputable law firm or corporate law department in PRC (optimal – with a multinational company). Must have strong transactional experience in handling PRC issues, including some experience in handling IP issues.
- Solid track record of corporate/commercial projects experience such as setting up and structuring of operations, M&A, divestment, liquidation in China.
- In-depth knowledge of Chinese commercial law and regulatory framework, Chinese corporate, labor and contract law; Chinese general litigation procedures; trade; and Chinese intellectual property law.
- Good grounding on employment and dispute resolution.
- Able to balance legal requirements with business objective and ability to render practical, creative and legal solutions to help business grow.
- Demonstrated superior skills in handling multiple tasks; effective prioritization skills; demonstrated practical and business oriented approach.
- Mature professional + strong communication + interpersonal skills
- Good team player - able to forge good working relationships at all levels of the business
- Withstands pressure and exercises sound commercial judgment.
- Self-motivated and good learning ability enabling the candidate to adapt him/her to the fast path of business growth.
- Flexible and good listener.
- Takes an active interest in business and commercial issues.
- Willingness to take on new roles and proactively support business initiatives.
- High energy and keen commitment towards delivery against on promises.
- Willingness to travel.