This job is currently Archived,
Senior Functional Safety Engineer Nuneaton United Kingdom,
HORIBA Mira (company)
Posted on : 26 June 2017
- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years experience in developing some of the world s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The Systems and Safety team are responsible for the deployment of functional safety, systems engineering and cyber security expertise and tools across the business to deliver internal and external projects.
- These projects can involve a combination of engineering, consultancy, analysis, training, audit and assessment either directly to external customers or for internal product developments.
- Our portfolio covers all domains of land-based transportation including automotive, commercial, off-highway and defense applications.
- With customers ranging from global vehicle manufacturers down to part-level suppliers, we take a pragmatic approach to scaling international standards and good engineering practice to an appropriate level for the individual client.
Essential experience for this role would include:
- Electrical/electronics engineer, systems engineer or software architect with ideally a minimum 3 years in an embedded systems environment, particularly safety-related systems.
- Experience in Automotive-relevant safety-related systems standards such as IEC 61508, MISRA SA and ISO 26262.
- Experience in Off-highway or earth-moving safety-related standards e.g. ISO 15998, BS EN 474.
- Experience in Machinery safety-related standards e.g. ISO 13849.
- Identifying hazards, performing risk assessment and classification.
- User and systems level requirements capture, management and technical review.
- System level architectural design and technical review.
- Safety analysis techniques e.g. FMEA, FTA (qualitative and quantitative), HAZOP etc. applied at the systems level and hardware part level.
- Technical leadership of small project teams.
- Tendering process and preparation of project proposals.
- Systems engineering and requirements driven developments and be capable of advising clients on good practice.
Desirable experience for this role would include:
- Functional safety engineer or safety manager on one or more automotive or defence projects.
- Controllability of vehicles, in particular vehicle dynamics, control system performance and human-machine interactions.
- Defining and populating safety cases.
- Embedded hardware design and technical review for safety-related systems.
- Embedded software design and technical review for safety-related systems including process and tools for high integrity software developments.
- Modern microprocessor architectures and systems to support deployment of functionality to an ASIL C/D level of integrity.
- Defence safety-related systems standards such as Def Stan 00-56 and DO-254.
- Hybrid electric vehicles and associated technologies.
- Engineering process development and practical implementation; including CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE).
- Engineering process audit; including CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE).
- Developing and delivering training courses.
- Awareness of cyber-security principles and their commercial application (e.g. threat analysis, security requirements/techniques and penetration testing).
Essential skills for this role would include:
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing.
- Be capable of presenting technical information confidently to customers.
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints.
- Have well-developed analytical skills rigorous but pragmatic, being able to justify decisions with solid rationale.
- Have good interpersonal skills a consensus-builder not confrontational being able to deal with strong-willed characters.
- Be able to make justified technical decisions based on solid rationale.
- Be capable of technically managing a small group of engineers, tracking progress and budget spend.
Essential qualifications for this role would include:
- Good first degree (minimum 2:1) in electrical/electronic engineering, systems engineering or a relevant related discipline.
Desirable qualifications for this role would include:
- Higher degree (relevant M.Sc or Ph.D).
- Corporate membership of an engineering institution including Chartered Engineer qualification.
Find a Job Find Candidates