Senior Functional Safety Engineer - United Kingdom
- Our company is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defense, aerospace and rail sectors.
- We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
- With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
- The Systems and Safety team are responsible for the deployment of functional safety, systems engineering and cyber security expertise and tools across the business to deliver internal and external projects.
- These projects can involve a combination of engineering, consultancy, analysis, training, audit and assessment either directly to external customers or for internal product developments.
- Our portfolio covers all domains of land-based transportation including automotive, commercial, off-highway and defense applications.
- With customers ranging from global vehicle manufacturers down to part-level suppliers, we take a pragmatic approach to scaling international standards and good engineering practice to an appropriate level for the individual client.
- Electrical/electronics engineer, systems engineer or software architect with ideally a minimum 3 years in an embedded systems environment, particularly safety-related systems.
- Experience in Automotive-relevant safety-related systems standards such as IEC 61508, MISRA SA and ISO 26262.
- Experience in Off-highway or earth-moving safety-related standards e.g. ISO 15998, BS EN 474.
- Experience in Machinery safety-related standards e.g. ISO 13849.
- Identifying hazards, performing risk assessment and classification.
- User and systems level requirements capture, management and technical review.
- System level architectural design and technical review.
- Safety analysis techniques e.g. FMEA, FTA (qualitative and quantitative), HAZOP etc. applied at the systems level and hardware part level.
- Technical leadership of small project teams.
- Tendering process and preparation of project proposals.
- Systems engineering and requirements driven developments and be capable of advising clients on good practice.
Desirable experience for this role would include:
- Functional safety engineer or safety manager on one or more automotive or defence projects.
- Controllability of vehicles, in particular vehicle dynamics, control system performance and human-machine interactions.
- Defining and populating safety cases.
- Embedded hardware design and technical review for safety-related systems.
- Embedded software design and technical review for safety-related systems including process and tools for high integrity software developments.
- Modern microprocessor architectures and systems to support deployment of functionality to an ASIL C/D level of integrity.
- Defence safety-related systems standards such as Def Stan 00-56 and DO-254.
- Hybrid electric vehicles and associated technologies.
- Engineering process development and practical implementation; including CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE).
- Engineering process audit; including CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE).
- Developing and delivering training courses.
- Awareness of cyber-security principles and their commercial application (e.g. threat analysis, security requirements/techniques and penetration testing).
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing.
- Be capable of presenting technical information confidently to customers.
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints.
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic, being able to justify decisions with solid rationale.
- Have good interpersonal skills – a consensus-builder not confrontational being able to deal with strong-willed characters.
- Be able to make justified technical decisions based on solid rationale.
- Be capable of technically managing a small group of engineers, tracking progress and budget spend.
- Good first degree (minimum 2:1) in electrical/electronic engineering, systems engineering or a relevant related discipline.
Desirable qualifications for this role would include:
- Higher degree (relevant M.Sc or Ph.D).
- Corporate membership of an engineering institution including Chartered Engineer qualification.