Senior Engineer - Electrical - United States
Becton Dickinson (company)
Responsible for the design and development of electrical and electronic designs required for instrumented, automated diagnostic lab systems. Works closely with other EE, ME, Systems and Software Engineering associates as a member of a project team. Independently evaluates and applies engineering principles to fulfill project objectives. Collects, records, reports, interprets and analyzes data, presents results to others. Design, develop, and execute electrical and embedded software subsystems with minimal supervision. Acts independently, provides guidance and work assignments to less experienced engineers and technicians.
- Develop system level design specifications for the electrical and electro-optical systems in instrumented products.
- Apply electrical engineering expertise to develop medical instrument system architecture and resolve complex issues.
- Lead the design of major electrical subsystems.
- Directly apply expert knowledge in electronics and electro-optics to execute overall project assignments.
- Hold design reviews for modules and subsystems. Participate in design reviews of other team members.
- Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements including manufacturability and serviceability.
- Learn and practice the BD Global Product Development System phase and gate design process. Conduct project work in compliance with BD internal processes, ISO 9001, and FDA cGMP standards for the design of Medical Devices
- Interact closely with software, systems, mechanical and electrical engineering functions to develop comprehensive solutions to design problems.
- Interact with Manufacturing, Medical, Regulatory, Quality, Marketing and Field Service throughout projects providing technical assessments and communications to business leadership.
- Participate in and provide input into planning the technical development activities from concept through successful commercialization within established schedules, budgets and product cost targets.
- Utilize excellent troubleshooting skills with hands on approach to identify root cause and corrective actions.
A Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience, or a MSEE with 4 years relevant experience that includes the following areas:
- PCB layout, construction and test techniques.
- Electrical hardware design experience with off the shelf embedded computer systems, single board computers, and their associated hardware peripherals such as LCDs, touchscreens, and storage devices.
- Electro-mechanical-firmware integration of motion control systems including servo and stepper motors, actuators and position sensors.
- Temperature control, driving heaters, blowers and TEC devices including interfacing to temperature sensing devices such as RTDs, thermistors and solid state devices.
- Interfacing optical electronic hardware, LEDs, photodiodes, laser diodes, PMTs, etc..
- Standard interfaces: RS232, RS422, USB, I2C, SPI and Ethernet.
- Digital logic circuit design using micro-controllers, DSPs, CPLDs, FPGAs, etc. Embedded programming experience in Assembler, C and VHDL languages desired.
- Analog small signal conditioning circuitry design and the application of A/Ds and D/As.
- Familiar with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT) and Design to Cost (DTC) methodologies and Medical Agency Approval process. Able to multitask and maintain focus on priorities.