SENIOR EDITOR / ASSOCIATE EDITOR - United States
BioCentury Inc. is widely known as the leading provider of business intelligence about the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries through its high value-added digital publications, databases, international conferences and research services.
The company has an opening in our Redwood City, Calif., office for a Senior Editor or Associate Editor to edit highly analytical, long-form articles about scientific developments, innovations in R&D, clinical research, corporate strategy, and regulatory, financing and public policy developments for their healthcare, corporate and investment impact for the company’s flagship weekly publications, BioCentury and BioCentury Innovations.
BioCentury Innovations focuses on the "Idea to IND" phase of drug development. Its analysts cover the interface between industry and academia, the commercial translation of new science into new drugs, diagnostics and other healthcare innovations, and implications of breakthrough technologies on private and public investment in early stage investment in R&D.
BioCentury’s team focuses on “IND to the Patient,” analyzing corporate strategy, management decisions, partnering, clinical development, regulation, public policy, patient engagement and the financing markets that are key to understanding how biomedical innovation affects public health.
Both publications reach an international audience in the corporate, investment, public policy and patient communities.
Applicants must submit a cover letter in addition to a resume and other pertinent credentials.
A candidate for this position will be able to show:
- At least four years of work experience or other credentials to demonstrate advanced knowledge of the topics addressed by the company’s publications in addition to the editing skills described below.
- The ability to think analytically and critically in order to add value to articles written by our scientists and business analysts.
- The ability to edit complex, multi-source articles to meet the company’s requirements for interpretative, forward-looking thinking.
- The ability to integrate editing of long-form content with accompanying data visualizations to ensure clarity and consistency of the complete presentation.
- The ability to edit to ensure content is clear, factually accurate and correct with respect to grammar, spelling and style.
- The ability to process files in a digital authoring system, including the ability to create and manage files in a content management system, including meta tagging and linking, for digital publishing.
- The ability to work with a high degree of independence to deliver high-quality work product on agreed schedules with a minimum of supervision.
- In total, the Associate Editor must be able to edit an average of 5,000 words, or about 3-4 articles, a week.
- Finally, all BioCentury employees are obligated to meet the highest standards with respect to accuracy, conflict of interest, intellectual property rights, slander, confidentiality and respect for information sources and readers.