Senior Director, U.S. Commercial Operations & Sales Execution - United States
Intercept is a rapidly growing global biopharmaceutical company headquartered in New York City with R&D based in San Diego and the International headquarters based in London. Our focus is on bettering the lives of patients through the development and commercialization of novel therapeutics to treat progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept’s first product OCALIVA® (obeticholic acid [OCA], a farnesoid X receptor agonist) was approved and launched in the United States in 2016 for the treatment of primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) and was granted conditional approval for the treatment of PBC by the European Commission. PBC is a rare, autoimmune cholestatic liver disease that can put patients at risk for life-threatening complications. OCALIVA® represents the first new treatment option for people living with PBC in nearly 20 years.
We are busy building our future together as beyond PBC, OCALIVA® is being evaluated for potential indications across a variety of additional chronic liver diseases, including nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), and biliary atresia. The FDA has granted OCA breakthrough therapy designation for the treatment of NASH with liver fibrosis.
Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is one of the most common liver diseases (estimated to affect 3–5% of the U.S. adult population) and is expected to be the leading cause for liver transplantation by 2020. Currently there are no approved treatments for NASH. Intercept is in a unique position in NASH as OCA is the first and to date only product that successfully showed efficacy in two key endpoints in a randomized Ph II study. OCA is currently being evaluated in an international Phase III trial (REGENERATE) for the treatment of NASH that initiated in 2015 and has been fully enrolled for the patients required for the key interim analysis. In addition to REGENERATE there are several other studies that are underway or soon will be to help to build a broader scientific foundation of knowledge for OCA in NASH.
The Senior Director of Commercial Operations & Sales Execution is responsible for both the development and deployment of the three main functions of the team: Field-Based Operations, Data Warehouse Services, and Excellence in Sales Execution. As a critical business partner to the U.S. Commercial Team, the Senior Director of Commercial Operations & Sales Execution will lead a team dedicated to providing high quality commercial support as well as key part of the decision-making process for the Intercept commercial management team and regional/local markets. The successful candidate will lead the process in a number of critical areas to the business, such as business planning, performance tracking and excellence in sales execution, and as such, building a strong working relationship with both the central and regional teams will be critical.
Overall responsibilities of the group include strategic and tactical field-based planning for sales force and managed markets teams, organization of sizing and territory alignment, incentive compensation (IC) plans, sales data management, field-based CRM, expense management system, and aligning with compliance guidelines. This position will collaborate with various cross-functional teams to identify and address business challenges and opportunities to ensure clear communication and consistency in high quality execution and rollout of business initiatives (standardize deployment of marketing material, IC program, POA communication, reporting, etc.).
Finally, the Senior Director of Commercial Operations & Sales Execution will also support the field sales management and national account manager teams in developing key analyses, reporting and dashboards so the teams can effectively understand business trends and maximize sales potential. The successful candidate is capable of working in a multi-functional environment to help drive the success of the company. He or she should be energetic, positive thinking, confident, diplomatic, independent and entrepreneurial with good IT knowledge.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
• Build an effective and unified operations team (Data Warehouse, Sales Execution and Sales IC/Analytics)
• Develop and leverage framework for strategic/tactical business planning for Commercial Operations & Execution and U.S. field-based teams
• Implementation and management of a Field Communication and Sales Execution Program; help to establish a management control policy and ensure excellence in communication and deployment of key sales initiatives to field and various internal departments; ensure management oversight of program
• Collaborate with the Commercial leadership team to develop local and regional insights to support business decisions in cultivating new business and strategic partnerships
• Collaborate with IT to lead overall commercial enterprise strategy related to data and CRM
• Develop strategy with the IT and Data Operations groups to ensure quality assurance; support recommendations for current and future data sourcing from business partners
• Identify and deploy additional field resources and requirements, such as sales analysis tools, reporting, field technology and CRM reporting tools as needed
• Analyze key market data to understand how to best optimize the deployment and alignment of the sales force and manage markets teams
• Design key performance reports within the CRM system for the sales organization and marketing team members so they have access to pertinent data that helps them sell more effectively and understand their business
• Institute processes for data and reporting governance of ad-hoc field-based inquiries from the executive team and other Commercial functions
• Implement and manage an incentive compensation program and corporate policy; establish a management control policy and ensure communication of policy to field and various internal departments; ensure management oversight of program; select and manage vendor of choice
• Effectively manage a budget and provide insight into field budget forecasting
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA preferred
• 10+ years prior sales operations and marketing experience, preferably in a Director position with a smaller pharma or biotech company
• Particular focus on field-based team strategy/performance/data analytics, sales force deployment, customer targeting/segmentation, CRM experience
• Experience utilizing Veeva Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools, both from an end-user and back-end perspective, with ability to assist IT with system design and system changes as needed
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Proven ability to manage project teams
• Must be able to travel up to 25%
• Must maintain comprehensive proficiencies with Microsoft Project, Microsoft Office and (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and associated applications
• Ability to think strategically to improve current processes
• Solid conceptual thinking – ability to analyze large amounts of information and extract insights
• Experience leveraging quantitative techniques and statistical analyses in support of commercial operations
• Proven leadership in developing new business processes and moving them to automated systems and implementation
• Ability to work/lead in a dynamic group that takes a multi-disciplined team approach to executing and achieving departmental and corporate goals
• Personal characteristics will be absolutely crucial, as the successful individual needs to have the self-sufficiency, energy and drive to take this opportunity and run with it; must possess a level of comfort with working in a high-growth, fast-paced matrix environment where influencing and negotiating across an organization are a prerequisite
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to attract talent and create a culture of collaboration and teamwork that fosters open communication, constructive conflict resolution and organizational flexibility
• High degree of emotional intelligence, displaying candor and integrity at all times
• Strategic “out of the box” thinker who will challenge the status quo to improve marketing deliverables
• Entrepreneurial, decisive, possesses a sense of urgency with the ability and strong desire to “make things happen”
• Strong customer orientation; a passion for science-based brands that can dramatically improve patients’ lives
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Learning agility and ‘scalability’ to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
• Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion; is a champion of the “One Team, One Mission” spirit
• Ability to have fun!