Senior Director, Medical Education - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
This role will oversee internal and external Medical Education activities, and will coordinate training for local and global affiliates and KOLs throughout the assigned region. The Senior Director, Medical Education will represent the Medical Affairs department training activities across the therapeutic areas, and within local, regional and global teams, as required. Establish the global Medical Affairs training strategy and build the related infrastructure Medical Affairs activities.
Overall, the role will be responsible for developing and managing the internal Medical Education structure and training program. Developing easy to access training materials for the countries. Establishing and delivering external educational events with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs).
Responsible for the following:
- Monitor team performance in terms of goals and delivery of global medical plans
- Lead content development and presentation for external medical education programs, and other Global Medical initiatives
- Develop, conduct, or participate in therapeutic training programs for Alexion personnel.
- Medical affairs review of field medical tools, internal commercial training material.
- Develop high quality scientific education and training plan for Alexion Medical Affairs community (Global, Regional and Countries) on marketed and upcoming products. Education plan will include a new approach to train on and disseminate new data, good Medical Affairs practices and ability to deliver Scientific Communication.
- Develop training curriculum of new Medical staff on Global Medical Affairs.
- Participate to delivery of training of Regional and LOC senior staff as part of their introduction to Alexion
- Deliver general scientific / medical presentations on Alexion products at universities and other institutions (Depending on Medical background with the incumbent).
- Establish an Alexion training program or academy directed towards external scientists.
- Develop internal training on scientific and medical content to other functions especially Commercial, but also HOR and Medical Information.
- Develop Alexion approach to external Scientific CME training.
- Work with therapeutic areas leaders as needed on internal communication projects, meeting and/or training sessions
- Manage the Medical Affairs on-boarding training
- Support Medical Affairs with access to innovative, well organized, easily accessible , high quality training materials to ensure all medical affairs staff can develop strong therapeutic area knowledge appropriate to their role.
- Establish innovative solutions to enhance learning within Medical Affairs
- Establish and maintain strong partnership with commercial and R&D colleagues. Assess and develop synergies on the development and sharing of training material as appropriate
- Develop and implement the global Medical Affairs training strategy and build realted infrastructure (process, content, system, and metrics.
- Organize and initiate training programs including identifying training audiences, conducting needs assessment, and establishing related training curriculum based on different levels of training based on patient / HCP contact
- Oversee the development, implementation, maintenance, and tracking of all training materials including tests for verification
- Partner with cross-functional learning partners
- Represent Medical Affairs training on cross-functional learning initiatives and partner with related departments (Learning & Development, IT, Commercial Training, etc.) accordingly.
- Develop training materials and deliver training on other areas as needed (e.g. Pharma trends, Pharma regulations, compliance, etc)
- Budget management for own projects
- Respected in Training profession with a track record of proven pragmatic solutions and sustainable business results
- Recognized as a strong leader with a proven track record of effectively managing and developing people
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a track record of effectiveness as a team player and project leader who gets results
- Global mindset required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix environment and solve complex issues that work across multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to propose, create and implement creative “out of the box” solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work with multicultural teams
- Demonstrated ability to influence others
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated sense of ethics and responsibility
- Minimum 8 years of pharmaceutical industry experience, preferably within medical affairs
- MS, PhD or PharmD
- Additional education or certification in Instructional design or Instructional technologies, preferred
New Haven, CT, United States
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion developed and commercializes Soliris® (eculizumab), the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), two life-threatening ultra-rare disorders. As the global leader in complement inhibition, Alexion is strengthening and broadening its portfolio of complement inhibitors, including evaluating potential indications for eculizumab in additional severe and ultra-rare disorders. Alexion’s metabolic franchise includes two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare disorders, Strensiq® (asfotase alfa) to treat patients with hypophosphatasia (HPP) and Kanuma™ (sebelipase alfa) to treat patients with lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, Alexion is advancing the most robust rare disease pipeline in the biotech industry, with highly innovative product candidates in multiple therapeutic areas.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our App for iPhones and Blackberries.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative action employer