Scientist, Translational Biomarkers Infectious Diseases - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is one of the most innovative pharmaceutical companies in the world and employs more than 4,000 professionals in Belgium.
- Our research and development center develops products for a wide range of disease areas, such as mental disorders, neurological problems, infectious diseases, immunological disorders, cancer, and cardiovascular and metabolic conditions.
- The Infectious Diseases therapeutic area (ID TA) of company R&D is pioneering new treatment paradigms for hepatitis and respiratory infections, and has several assets at different stages of discovery research and clinical development.
- Its Transnational Bio markers department is currently seeking a highly motivated Scientist to strengthen the team that is committed to biomarkers research that effectively contributes to discovery and clinical research projects in the portfolio of the Infectious Diseases therapeutic area.
- Integrated bio marker data analyses using a broad range of molecular and phenotype data sets aim to provide mechanistic insights enabling the adaptation or initiation of new therapeutic interventions and to discover novel markers for patient stratification.
- This mission requires solid scientific expertise in multiple disciplines including high-dimensional omics technologies and data analysis, methodologies for bio marker research, drug discovery and (early) clinical development, and infectious disease biology - in particular viral hepatitis and respiratory infections.
- It necessitates an exploratory scientific mindset and trained skills to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
- Engage in discovery, transnational medicine and/or clinical development projects to pro-actively identify opportunities for transnational bio marker research that will impact the R&D programs in the Infectious Diseases TA.
- Initiate, design, execute (primarily with internal/external partners), analyze and report on omics and bio marker research in the ID TA projects, and thereby foster a culture of innovation that is fully aligned with ID TA objectives.
- Assess and propose the most fit-for-purpose (high-dimensional, omics) technology platform to generate high-quality data that can address specific transnational bio marker research questions.
- Ensure appropriate analysis of exploratory bio-marker data in combination with (pre)clinical data sets in order to make scientific contributions into R&D projects and/or drive bio marker identification / qualification strategies that could lead to clinical utility.
- Connect with other omics experts from functional support groups such as Discovery Sciences and Quantitative Sciences. Leverage existing statistical and computational biology methods for analyzing and interpreting complex multi-variant clinical and marker data sets.
- Prepare and deliver reports and presentations on the achieved results at internal and external scientific meetings, and publish these data in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Record accurately information obtained in projects and ensure that records and raw data are properly retained according to the company policy.
- MD/PhD or PhD in Medical Sciences, Bioengineering, Biology or related field with demonstrated experience in molecular genetics / genomics, computational biology, or related discipline which employs analytical methods of high-dimensional omics data.
- 3+ years of experience at post-doctoral level, preferably in a global pharmaceutical or biotech research organization, with a record of contributions in the field of translational biomarker research.
- Experience in applying diverse types / sources of biomarker data to address (pre)clinical questions related to response prediction, mechanism of action, safety, and/or patient stratification. A background in genetic data analyses performed in clinical studies, in particular pharmacogenetic applications, is an advantage.
- Scientific and operational knowledge in the use of state-of-the-art exploratory high dimensional (‘omics) platforms in the setting of human translational studies, preferably in the context of infectious diseases.
- Insights into infectious diseases biology, especially the molecular components of host response and viral/host interaction. A solid understanding of immune biology involved in host responses to infectious diseases is highly desirable.
- Credible skills in biomedical data analysis, statistical methods, experimental design, and data integration solutions relevant to heterogeneous datasets in pharmaceutical discovery and development.
- Knowledge and understanding of the regulatory, legal and operational requirements of sample collection and data handling for omics analyses in clinical studies.
- Demonstrated written and oral presentation capabilities, with a convincing record of peer-reviewed publications and presentations at scientific conferences. Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of biomarker research across functions, levels, and disciplines.
- Good planning, prioritization, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Resilient, energetic, and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs.
- As an employee we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously.
- As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility.
- Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth.
- Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.