Scientist – Cardio-Renal, Eye and Metabolic Diseases Job - United States
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
The Cardio-Metabolic Disease therapeutic area within Discovery Research at Merck is seeking to recruit a Scientist that is highly motivated to applying their skills towards the identification and development of novel targets to treat a broad array of cardio-renal, eye and metabolic diseases. However, the most important singular quality we are looking for is a drug hunter that seeks to put patients first as the front and central goal of their research. The location will be the preclinical research laboratories at our new state of the art facility in the South San Francisco Bay Area where you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture connecting leading academic and biotech research centers. Beyond local connections, you will also be able to supplement your research activities by taking advantage of the technologies and capabilities of the wider Merck network of sites in Boston, MA as well as NJ and PA.
- The individual will be expected to display independence in the laboratory in the design, plan, and execution of in vitro and/or in vivo experiments and provide scientific and technical input into the CMD portfolio.
- The individual will be expected to balance work on multiple projects in support of our drug discovery and development goals at various stages of the preclinical research phase from target validation through to lead optimization.
- The individual should be highly self-motivated, possess strong technical skills, have strong written and oral communication skills, and be able to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of the Merck Research Laboratories.
- Relevant areas of training may include one or more of the following disease areas; heart failure, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, with particular focus on insulin resistance as well as diabetic complications, obesity as well as ocular diseases (spanning from cornea to the retina).
- Required: BA/BS in Pharmacology, Physiology, Pathology or related field
- Preferred: MS in Pharmacology, Physiology, Pathology or related field
- Minimum of (5) years of Industry and or Academic experience
- Molecular biology, Cellular biology, cell-based assay, and ex vivo sample processing and analysis
- Ophthalmology related work experience (i.e. in vitro or in vivo)
- Demonstrated ability to perform standard procedures in live rodent models and to process specimens for analysis.
- Surgical experience in one or more of the individual diseases listed above in the areas of Cardio-Renal, Eye and Metabolic Disease Research
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of drug discovery research: Target Identification & Validation, Lead Optimization
- High content imaging, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, mass spectrometry
- Experience with drug administration in rodents.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Job Title:Scientist – Cardio-Renal, Eye and Metabolic Diseases
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Biotech, Pathology, Cardiac, Physiology, Ophthalmic, Science, Healthcare