Scientist II / Immunologist - Emeryville, CA - United States
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We are seeking an experienced, self-motivated, and resourceful Immunologist to join a team focused on the discovery and characterization of novel drug candidates that modulate Regulatory T Cells (Treg) for the treatment of both autoimmune diseases and cancer. The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying new drug targets and for characterization of the mechanism-of-action of drug candidates. This position is within a new Celgene group resulting from the recent acquisition of Delinia, Inc., and is located in Emeryville, CA.
Candidates should have a deep understanding of cellular immunology, immune tolerance, and autoimmunity and/or immuno-oncology. Extensive laboratory experience with the culture, functional characterization, and molecular profiling of human T cells is required. Specific experience with the biology of Tregs and/or with the use of humanized mouse models is highly desirable.
- Developing cross-functional scientific knowledge.
- Draw appropriate conclusions and make recommendations on next steps.
- Demonstrate ability to write peer reviewed quality work.
- Able to write invention disclosure for patent application, technical reports, technical protocols.
- Scientific expert in specific area.
- General awareness of drug discovery and development process.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a liaison between Project Team and functional area.
- Lead scientist on projects.
- Identify and recommend new technology.
- Provide scientific direction.
- Ownership of compliance and identification of potential gaps.
- Potential to manage and/or coordinates workflow on projects.
- Align science and functional area goals with business strategies.
- Manage resources appropriately.
- Works as an individual contributor.
- Viewed as an expert within the department.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
- Critically assesses projects and formulates ideas to increase success.
- Contributes ideas and develops case or position inside the department.
- Able to contribute to multiple projects.
- Able to recognize patterns/trends in data and apply new research directions.
- Stays informed of project trends, issues and organizes priorities related to own work. Communicates and uses this information to increase productivity.
Teamwork and Influence:
- Communicates with cross functional team.
- Directly impact the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
- Actively represents workgroup/team or department on multi-disciplinary or cross functional teams.
- Direct impact on departmental performance.
- Impact is achieved by contributing to team efforts.
- PhD with at least 4 years postdoctoral work with a focus on immunology.
- Celgene wants individuals with the drive and passion to do innovative science and develop valuable new treatments for patients.
- Celgene offers competitive compensation packages for qualified applicants.
- A record of scientific achievement demonstrated in high impact peer-reviewed publications
- Will contribute to the identification of new drug targets
- Will characterize the mechanism-of-action of novel drug candidates
- Possesses extensive experience with flow cytometry
- Strong data analysis skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively within a tight-knit team
- Resourceful in overcoming challenges
- A highly motivated, self-starter work ethic
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry will be a plus
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.