Scientist I, Genetic and Genomic Technology - United States
- Computational Biology and Genomics (CBG) is a center of excellence platform line in the Research and Early Development organization at our company.
- The group is responsible for providing genetics and genomics expertise to the R and D organization and specifically applies genetic and genomic discoveries to support company’s drug discovery research clinical development programs.
- This position will report into the NGS and Genetic Technologies Hub in the CBG organization which provides laboratory support and delivers data to support human disease genetics research projects. We are looking for a PhD level scientist to focus on studying genetics of gene regulation in multiple diseases of interest, and help evaluate, develop and implement novel NGS, RNA and/or DNA technologies to support such studies and other CBG strategic imperatives.
- The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with company discovery, clinical, and computational scientists to deliver high content genetic and genomic data to impact drug discovery and development activities at our company.
- This individual will employ creative molecular solutions to advance our understanding of the molecular basis of the complex diseases we seek to treat, supporting the discovery of novel potential drug targets, biomarkers, and provide information on drug mechanism of action.
- As a subject matter expert on specific genomic technologies this role will interface with project teams to provide guidance on application of technologies, experimental design and data interpretation and keep our company at the cutting edge of genomic sciences.
- Develop a program of research in the area of the genetics of gene regulation that will support company’s drug discovery efforts in neurology and rare genetic disease.
- Identify, evaluate and develop novel genomic technologies to advance drug discovery and development activities
- Partner with TA scientists in Discovery Research and Clinical Development team leaders to identify key questions and priorities that novel genetic and genomic technologies can impact
- Deliver high content molecular data for key research projects in CBG
- Identify opportunities for external collaborations that supplement internal CBG resources and ensure genetic and genomic biomarker research is at the cutting edge
- PhD in genetics, genomics or a related discipline. Post-doctoral experience is not essential.
- Keen interest in the application of new genetic and genomic technology and deep understanding of human genetics.
- Expertise in NGS technologies and hands on experience developing creative solutions to address biological questions.
- Experience of the evaluation of different genomic technologies.
- Strong collaboration, organizational and communication skills and an ability to work well in a team setting are required.
- The candidate should have be able to work independently have a strong ability to learn and adapt to work on new tasks and projects that he/she may not have worked on previously.
Education | Ph.D in Genetics, Genomics or a related discipline
- Through cutting-edge science and medicine, our company discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Our company is a pioneer in biotechnology and today the Company has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis (MS), has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is at the forefront of neurology research for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Our company also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
- Our global organization of nearly 7,000 employees is committed to a single mission: making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with few or no treatment options.
- Our company was founded in 1978 and today serves patients in nearly 70 countries.
- We aspire to have the greatest impact on patients and science of any biotechnology company in the history of our industry.
- To us, that means creating novel medicines that benefit individuals and society, and bringing new scientific understanding to diseases for which there are no adequate treatments.
- For nearly two decades our company has led in the research and development of new therapies to treat MS, including the most prescribed oral treatment in the world.
- Now our research is driving revolutionary new MS treatments with the goal of reversing or even repairing damage caused by the disease.
- We are now applying our neurological expertise to solve some of most challenging and complex diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and ALS.
- As we uncover new insights into human biology, our company is employing cutting-edge technologies to discover potential treatments for rare and genetic disorders.
- Our company is revolutionizing biologic manufacturing, developing the industry’s most advanced plants and processes.
- This expertise is used to produce both original innovative therapies and bio similar that expand patient access to lower-cost medicines.
Our Corporate Citizenship
- The same intellectual discipline and passion that drives our science is reflected in our corporate citizenship, environmental sustainability, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- As a company, we are focused on improving science education and limiting the impact of our company on the environment.
Job Segment: Scientific, Genetics, Biotech, Scientist, Engineering, Science, Research