Scientist/curator for coordinating and developing R&D activities and management of the collection - Belgium
- The DCG collection is one of 7 decentralized biological resource centers integrated within the Belgian Coordinated Collections of Microorganisms.
- The consortium with complementary expertise offers high quality microbial and genetic resources as well as a broad-ranging service portfolio and scientific expertise for industry and academia. BCCM runs a multi-site ISO 9001 quality management system.
- With its 38000 students and 8000 personnel, is one of the largest universities in Belgium.
- Our University invests both in fundamental, high risk science as in applied research.
- The university is known for its scientific expertise in life sciences and medicine, materials and agricultural science, veterinary medicine, psychology and history, and many more.
- Our top research is built on a solid base: as a result of a bottom-up research policy young researchers are given every opportunity to grow.
- Thanks to the excellent performance of its entire research community, for the last ten years.
- Day-to-day management of the biological material of the collection.
- This includes contributing to and supervising the implementation of the high standard of the collection in terms of diversity and quality of strains, their characterization and supporting resources (molecular, physiological, ecological, biotechnological)
- Contribute to the development of a portfolio of basic/applied research within the culture collection based on external funding sources, as well as scientific services to the customer community. This involves applying for external funding and writing scientific papers based on materials from the collection
- Support the technical staff in daily collection activities and client contacts
- Actively participate in the day-to-day working of the overall BCCM consortium and its working groups, including regular contacts with the curators of the other BCCM collections
Profile of the candidate
- You hold a doctoral degree in Sciences: Biology, or a discipline that is declared admissible by the selection committee, or an equivalent degree.
- This means that, if your doctoral degree is issued by a non-European institution, you will have to obtain a recognition of equivalence by the Flemish government before the start of the appointment
- The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment
- You have already conducted high-level research within the field of the biology, biotechnology or ecology of diatoms, algae or other microorganisms as proven by scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals, awards, patents,….
- You have practical experience in the isolation, cultivation, characterization and/or preservation of strains
- You have good communication skills and have a very good knowledge of written and spoken English
- You combine being a team player with a strong sense of autonomy, responsibility and initiative
What we can offer you
- We offer you a temporary contract of 6 months which will be prolonged following a positive evaluation.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale PD1.
- All staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as 38 days of paid leave, a wide range of training and education opportunities, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc.