Scientific Researcher – Infectious Diseases Immunology (cell sorting) - Belgium
- Our company is a global R&D organization with research sites in both the USA and Europe.
- Its main European site, a state-of–the art facility employing over 1,000 scientists, with a long-standing reputation for innovative and successful research.
- Since 2009, the Company has focused on 5 therapeutic areas: neuroscience, immunology, oncology, infectious diseases and vaccines, cardiovascular/metabolic disorders.
- Our company has delivered products with major impact on the lives of patients with HIV and Hepatitis C, and is now focusing on Hepatitis B, respiratory infections and neglected tropical diseases.
- Our strategy is to identify the biggest unmet medical needs and match them with the best science, internal or external, to find solutions for patients and to improve public health by fighting infectious diseases worldwide.
- The successful candidate will have a strong background in immunology and can demonstrate expertise in multicolor flow cytometry and cell sorting for the assessment of drug targets and pathways.
- The ideal candidate will also have a background in infectious disease immunology as well as expertise in primary cell isolation, cell culture and a broad range of functional assays with primary human cells. The candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Contribute to various projects within the Infectious Diseases department by proposing novel and actionable ideas, aligned with internal and external scientific strategies and demands
- Independently design and execute various types of immunological assays
- Demonstrate creative and analytical capabilities to interpret, troubleshoot and report on complex data
- Analyze and document experimental data in laboratory notebooks and assist in the preparation of SOPs, study reports, patents and publications as required
- Keep up-to-date on literature related to his/her field in support of research and assay development
- Keep up-to-date on the most recent technical advances in the field of immunological assays
- Present scientific data to colleagues and assist in the preparation of internal and external presentations to senior management
- Maintain our park of flow cytometers and mentors/trains junior personnel on complex immunological assays
- Bachelor or Master degree in a relevant discipline (immunology, cell biology or related discipline) with at least 5 years of experience in flow cytometry and FACS cell-sorting
- Expertise in infectious disease immunology is desirable
- Several years of productive experience in a high-quality academic, biotech or pharmaceutical environment
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in flow cytometry and FACS cell-sorting is required
- Experience with FACSDIVA and FlowJo software for data analysis is a merit
- Knowledge of CYTOF or a similar technique is a plus
- Very good theoretical knowledge and practical experience of culturing cell lines and primary cells, and cellular immune assays
- Experience with immunohistochemistry, fluorescence microscopy, and ELISPOT and other readouts of antigen-specific immune responses are a strong plus
- Basic statistical knowledge is desired
- Additional experience in standard molecular and cell biology techniques are a strong plus
- Ability to rapidly learn and apply techniques
- Strive for technical perfection
- Flexibility (tolerate changes in priorities/directions)
- Sense of urgency (self-motivation)
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously, with ability to interact and communicate with different project leaders
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken)
- As an employee we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously.
- As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility.
- Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth.
- Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.