Sales Training and Development Manager (Sales Team/ Life Sciences) - San Jose, CA/Bay Area; New Jersey; Remote option - United States
The Sales Training and Development Manager (STDM) is a resource for the execution of the BD Biosciences business strategy by addressing the development needs of current and future BD Biosciences Sales and Services associates at all levels. The STDM must fully understand the business strategy and be able to identify the necessary skills and competencies the associates need to successfully execute the strategy. The first hand experiences in our customers environment and/or credentials of the Sales Development Manager enhances the credibility of our training approach based on a customer centric model.
Specifically, the Sales Training and Development Manager will lead the development and implementation of learning opportunities. This is a critical liaison function, requiring the skills to assist the Subject Matter Experts (SME's) in developing materials that reflect the sales process and meet the learning needs of a diverse sales force. A successful approach will ensure best practice is embedded into strategic learning modules to include traditional training (didactic and experiential), eLearning, and blended modalities. Emphasis will be on developing skill sets focused on customer interactions at the decision making level using BD segment based selling strategies. With the support of the Biosciences Leadership Team and in conjunction with the US Region Sales Effectiveness team, the STDM will help develop measurement systems to ensure learning is appropriate and followed with effective coaching for continued success.
The Sales Training and Development Manager will be focused on, but not exclusively limited to, the activities outlined below:
- Partners with the Business leaders to understand the business strategy and needed capabilities for success.
- Assesses the training needs for the BD Biosciences Sales and Services teams to develop a comprehensive training plan focused on primary and secondary learning opportunities.
- Assesses current strategies and approaches for areas of improvement applying experiential knowledge to enhance our plans.
- Works closely with Subject Matter Experts to design interactive training incorporating adult learning principles.
- Selects appropriate training formats and delivery modalities. Consider formats not already in use.
- Manages the logistical planning and organizing of training activities, and of all assigned sales training programs (class preparation, facilitator engagement, and setup).
- Develops and administers training programs with measurements for effectiveness. Ensures follow up feedback (oral and written) is delivered to direct manager in a timely manner.
- Works in conjunction with Leadership Team to establish criteria for coaching follow-up.
- Conducts field visits to assess needs of the field from a training perspective and provides feedback based upon identified areas of need.
- Maintains advanced knowledge and skills and builds business acumen through continuous education opportunities. Stays informed of new training methods, techniques of competitors, and pending introduction of new product/services in order to ensure current and effective courses of sales personnel.
- Adopts and supports implementation of BD US Region strategy, Sales Effectiveness process, Sales Competencies, and selling principles according to the US Region Sales Effectiveness Charter.
- Participates as a core team member to the US Region Sales Effectiveness team.
- Manages responsibilities within the allotted T&E expense budget.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director, Sales Training and Development.
- Complies with all Corporate policies and external policies to include AvaMed; complies with company policies and procedures.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BS degree.
- 3 to 5 years related experience in education, development, or equivalent combination of experience.
- Experience in developing and implementing a learning or training plan.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of life sciences market, customers, challenges, and market trends.
- Requires a thorough understanding of Sales Process and Sales cycle.
- Possesses basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Must be able to travel, as needed (30 – 50% based on geographic location).
- Exhibits a clear understanding of adult learning principles.
- Experience leading teams, with or without authority.
- Relates effectively to all levels of individuals both internally and externally.
- Demonstrates proactive approach to problem solving.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Strong preparation and organization skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, ambiguous environment.
- Master’s degree
- Flow cytometry background is preferred
- Prior sales experience in the life science industry is preferred
- Good understanding of Salesforce.com and LMS system is preferred