This job is currently Archived,
Research Study Technician II - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 02 May 2017
- Reviews and complies with all policies, guidelines and operating procedures pertaining to the animal care and research program.
- Provides technical procedure training to less experienced staff and researchers, and provide re-training as needed.
- May coordinate (or assist) or manage schedules of other team members; resolves schedule conflicts
- Assemble, set up, operate and maintain any necessary experimental equipment to conduct in-vivo studies.
- Conduct laboratory procedures in compliance with established protocols/plans and with regulatory and laboratory requirements.
- Document experimental data in technical notebooks or approved electronic files including activities undertaken, existing conditions, observed results and variation from expected data patterns.
- Record, prepare, and analyze data for inclusion in project reports.
- With guidance from scientific management, maintain a technical knowledge and understanding in his/her assigned area of responsibility.
- Able to perform the following techniques in rodents:
- PO, IV, SQ, IP, IM, and IN dosing and/or inoculation techniques
- Blood collection from multiple vessels or cardiac, and perfusions
- Tumor measurements, body weights, IBD and EAE scoring, behavioral monitoring, etc
- Rodent telemetry and physiological recordings
- Necropsy, tissue and fluid collections
- Rodent euthanasia using CO2, anesthesia and/or approved physical methods.
- Rodent surgical skills (ie cannulations, implantations), pre-surgical and post-surgical care and monitoring.
- Support study set-up, take downs, ex-vivo assays
- Various diagnostic work (ELISA, whole body plethysmography, behavioral testing)
- Histology (scanning, cutting, trimming and staining)
- Interact with other personnel within the department, multiple research groups, to develop a network of resources to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Perform animal care and husbandry as a component of the role or as needed including receipt, stocking and maintenance of research supplies
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: B.S. / B.A. degree in Biological Sciences or related field, or Associate’s degree in veterinary technology or equivalent college level program.
- Experience: Must have at least 4 years of previous laboratory animal research experience. At least 3 years of technical experience as detailed in the essential duties and responsibilities section.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: LATG preferred. Veterinary technician licensure of CVT or LVT preferred.
- Other: Computer literacy in word processing and database record keeping. Advanced knowledge of rodent technical skills and capability of identifying sick animals, summarizing findings, and providing medical treatment as prescribed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet