This job is currently Archived,
Research Scientist, Computer Vision & Image Processing - Canada
Posted on : 22 June 2017
Expected Travel: < 5%
Employment Type: Regular Full-time
Employment Type: Regular Full-time
- We are looking for an innovative and creative Research Scientist to join our R&D team to provide technical expertise in the development of tomorrow’s spatial measurement products.
- As a Research Scientist, you will work closely with the development team to explore progressive technologies, algorithms, and approaches in spatial measurement science to develop solutions for medical interventions in the operating theater, interventional suite and clinic.
- Specifically, we are seeking someone with strong image processing skills for processing and analyzing real-time video data on embedded systems (firmware & FPGA).
- This role requires someone who is passionate about pursuing new ideas, is strong at solving complex problems and has a willingness to challenge the status quo to create remarkable solutions. The successful candidate will be highly organized, results-driven and effective at presenting intricate ideas and concepts to others.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Conduct forward-looking research, perform detailed experimental studies and document them according to the scientific method
- Formulate ideas for new product development that incorporate the latest spatial measurement sensors and algorithms
- Provide guidance to the R&D team on optimizing firmware/FPGA algorithms and hardware and mechanical design
- Actively collaborate in the translation of research concepts into product requirements
- Plan and perform research using a variety of theoretical, experimental and computer simulation methods
- Explore opportunities to redesign existing products in order to improve functionality, accuracy, performance, and reliability
- Spearhead intellectual property development
- Prepare written reports, maintain research logbooks and present research findings & product proposals to management
- Our company is committed to achieving excellence in our Quality activities, which is dependent upon the processes, practices, and employees of our company.
- Our objective is to maintain a Quality Management System in compliance with ISO 9001, ISO 13485, the US FDA Quality System Regulation as well as any additional regulatory requirements of the markets in which our products are sold.
- Employees of our company are instrumental to our compliance efforts and are required to understand and comply with the QMS.
- Accountable for understanding and following all design control procedures for our company’s product development projects
- Responsible for documenting design inputs and requirements that result from research activities
Education and Professional Qualifications:
- Advanced Degree in Physical Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related disciplines, or equivalent experience
- Highly motivated individual with the ability to acquire and apply information gathered from scientific publications, internal reports, other sources of technical documentation
- Very strong background in computer vision, numerical computation, and computer simulation methods
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ required; Matlab, Python, CUDA, and Java are an asset
- Strong aptitude translating algorithms from SW concept to FPGA implementation
- Experience with computer vision libraries (e.g. OpenCV or similar) is required
- Experience with hardware programming languages like Verilog or VHDL is required
- Exceptional communication and report writing skills
Desired Characteristics/Additional Assets:
In-depth knowledge of surface scanning sensors such as laser scanners, time-of-flight sensors, stereo-imaging and structured light
- Experience with embedded machine vision and image processing SoC
- Experience with High-Level Synthesis (HLS) is an asset
- Proficiency in developing medical devices or industrial metrology
- Prior experience with mechanical, optical or magnetic tracking systems; or machine vision
- Knowledge of 3D image registration techniques in both rigid and surface based approaches
- Familiarity with image-guided and/or computer-assisted surgical and interventional systems
- Good understanding of 3D object modeling and data fusion techniques in augmented and virtual reality systems
- Understanding of optics with experience in designing cameras and/or projectors