Research Scientific Director - TX, OK, LA (Oncology) Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Research Scientific Director (RSD) is a therapeutic and disease expert who is responsible for facilitating and developing relationships with the Oncology medical/scientific community who have potential interest in participating in Merck research studies (ISTs, Company Sponsored). This position will report to the Team Leader – Research Scientific Director (within Global Center for Scientific Affairs).
- Support MRL strategy to accelerate Merck’s broader Oncology portfolio through internal candidate development and/or external partnership opportunities.
- Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key investigators, institutions, groups and consortia to identify and address scientific needs and stay abreast of current scientific trends in Oncology
- Support company initiated trials by interacting with primary investigators, assisting in site identification and screenings, and delivering disease education using approved resources
- Conduct peer to peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with Scientific Leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within Merck.
- Support data generation activities including provision of Merck areas of research interest and ISP process to potential investigators and review of proposals.
- Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding Oncology scientific issues to assist Merck in obtaining feedback on certain scientific topics of interest to inform Merck’s research activities (e.g., medical practice insights, evidence/data gaps, novel targets and pathways, etc.).
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through education efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, workshops and review of key journals.
- Represents MRL at scientific meetings including pipeline booth support, congresses and symposia's, MRL advisory and investigator meetings.
- Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
- An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.) is required with prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare education environment
- Ability to travel up to 65% as required per this position.
- The ideal candidate will reside within the position territory: TX, OK, LA.
- A minimum of 5 years hematology/oncology experience is required.
- Knowledge of treatment guidelines (NCCN, ASCO, ASH, ESMO, etc.), clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills are required.
- Must have the ability to network and partner with important external customers, including Scientific Leaders, investigators, academic institutions, large group practices, NCI Cooperative Group leadership
- Must possess demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and is able to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority.
- Must demonstrate deep therapeutic competency; stays abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area.
- Residency within the metropolitan Houston, TX area is preferred.
- Clinical trial development experience
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Scientific Affairs – Field Based
Job Title:Dir, Scientific Affairs
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Other Locations: NA-US-Louisiana, NA-US-Texas, NA-US-Oklahoma
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Oncology, Scientific, Biotech, Hematology, Medical, Healthcare, Engineering, Science