Research Associate III (Synthetic Chemist) - United States
What you'll be doing:
Summary: In conjunction with Senior Synthetic Chemists, the Synthetic Chemist will play a critical role in the design, synthesis, scale-up and purification of new assay reagents. The candidate should be efficient, detail oriented and highly collaborative. Responsibilities:
- The Synthetic Chemist will support the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of organic & inorganic reagents, polymers and biopolymers.
- The successful candidate will:
- Develop and optimize analytical techniques to systematically synthesize and characterize synthetic molecules, polymers and nano-emulsions.
- Establish and/or optimize synthetic protocols and scale-up procedures to guarantee robust and timely delivery of compounds for validation testing.
- Must be enthusiastic, hard-working and highly motivated.
- Create, validate and document analytical quality control (QC) procedures for materials and formulations used in validation studies.
- Be engaged in multiple R&D activities (including troubleshooting issues, writing procedures, R&D laboratory instrument maintenance etc.).
- Work closely with Manufacturing to transfer established production and QC procedures in a timely manner for product release.
- Interface with biology, process development and engineering departments to support successful, integrated product development.
- Maintain the chemistry laboratory space in compliance with safety regulations.
- Support all synthetic chemistry related aspects of new product development and manufacturing.
- BS or MS in Synthetic Chemistry or equivalent.
- 3-5 years laboratory experience in designing, synthesizing, purifying and characterizing novel compounds and/or polymers.
- Experience with bioconjugate/ polymer chemistry and basic molecular biology techniques is a plus.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Extensive hands-on experience and a proven track record in the design, synthesis and characterization of custom compounds.
- Extensive hands-on experience in synthetic transformations and common laboratory procedures (extractions, distillations, anhydrous/inert conditions, chromatography etc.)
- Hands-on experience with modern analytical instrumentation like Fluorimeter, RP- and SEC HPLC, mass spectrometry etc.
- Experience with spectroscopic instrumentation and data interpretation from modern analytical instruments including but not limited to: NMR, mass spectrometry, MALDI, FTIR etc.
- Experience in basic molecular biology techniques (gel electrophoresis, Western blotting, PCR etc.)
- Requires the ability to organize, execute, present and interpret scientific experiments in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to independently resource, design and execute multi-step syntheses.
- Capable of clear and concise communication of technical data, both written and oral.
- Proven ability of innovative thinking and resourceful, organized problem-solving.
- Track record of self-motivated design, execution and analysis of experiments on aggressive schedules in a rapidly changing environment.
- Capacity to thrive in a multidisciplinary setting while working alongside engineers, biologists, software developers and manufacturing professionals.
- Ability to translate research and development efforts into a successful product.
- Proficient in chemical drawing software, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- New Product Development experience.
- Experience with Bioconjugate Chemistry a plus.
- Experience with assay/reagent development in industry is a plus.
- Competitive pay and great benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k and more.
- Opportunities for growth and training.
- Stability of a profitable 60+ year old company.
- Great work environment.
- Our company is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products.
- With a team of more than 7,800 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
- Our company was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.