This job is currently Archived,
Research Associate III (Discovery Services) - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 31 March 2017
The individual in this position will be involved in all aspects of studies supporting the in vivo services group. This position is hands-on with responsibilities including, but not limited to; animal handling and restraint, administration via various routes, clinical observations, study scheduling, training, SOP revisions and improvements, sample collection and processing, and accurate data collection.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform in vivo technical and husbandry procedures
- Test material administration via various routes
- Train members of the group in all procedures
- Collect and process biological samples according to appropriate protocol and SOP requirements
- Ensure quality care and health monitoring is provided for all animals
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Perform all pre-study activities including labeling, scheduling and setup
- Clearly and accurately record and QC all study data
- Input and review electronic data entries
- Actively participate in the review of data and procedures
- Serve as Lead/Primary Technician for multiple studies of any complexity
- Write SOPs and implement new processes and improvements to existing policies and procedures
- Ensure that raw data records are accurate, complete and in appropriate order
- Ensure that raw data meets protocol, SOP specifications, and GLP requirements
- Assist with audit responses and facility inspections
- Identify and report any difficulties encountered with various aspects of study conduct as necessary
- Assume responsibility of Supervisor as assigned
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education: High school diploma or General Equivalent Degree (G.E.D.). Bachelor’s preferred (B.S) or equivalent in animal or life science or related discipline.
Experience: 2 to 4 years related experience in animal research and/or husbandry or must have fully satisfied technical and experience requirements for the previous level.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Certification/Licensure: ALAT preferred.
Other: Ability to handle common laboratory species. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to coworkers and supervisors in a team environment. Proficient in basic technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Ability to use organization skills to effectively manage multiple, concurrent tasks and priorities under minimal direction. Knowledge of GLPs and other federal regulations and guidelines relating to the care of laboratory animals. Basic understanding of study design and protocols.
- Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50 pounds; this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals.
- Must be able to perform procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Must be able to frequently firmly hold species while utilizing fine motor skills.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work in a research environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from moderate to loud.
- The employee regularly works with live animals with risk of exposure to allergens, zoonotic disease, and biohazards.
- The noise level in the work environment ranges from low to high depending upon the species housed.
- While performing the duties of this job, travel between facilities may be required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to work/type at a computer.
This position requires overtime, weekend, holiday, and/or after hours shift coverage, as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet