This job is currently Archived,
Research Associate II, Tumor Models - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 16 April 2017
The individual in this position will be involved in all aspects of studies supporting the discovery oncology group. This position is hands-on with working in close cooperation with and under the guidance of more senior staff members. Responsible for performing in vivo technical procedures, animal husbandry sample collection, performing accurate data collection and reporting. Administer test material via various routes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adhere to sterile practices for handling immunocompromised animals.
- Perform subcutaneous tumor cell implantation.
- Accurately measure tumor volume.
- Perform in vivo technical and husbandry procedures including animal receipt.
- Administer Test material via various routes.
- Provide quality care and health monitoring for all animals.
- Interact with veterinary staff to convey and assist with animal health issues.
- Perform all pre-study activities including labeling, scheduling and set up.
- Collect and process biological samples according to appropriate protocol and SOP requirements.
- Ensure that raw data records are accurate, complete and in appropriate order.
- Ensure that raw data meets protocol & SOP specifications.
- Input and review electronic data entries.
- Serve as lead/ primary technician for studies of standard complexity, including preparation of study specific forms.
- Follow company SOPs, Policies, and Practices
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Equivalent Degree (G.E.D.). Bachelor’s (B.S.) or Associate’s (A.S.) preferred or equivalent in animal or life science or related discipline.
- Experience: 1 to 3 years related experience in animal research and/or husbandry or must have fully satisfied technical and experience requirements for the previous level.
- Prior experience working with xenograft models is highly desirable.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: ALAT preferred.
- Other: Ability to handle common laboratory species. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Proficient in basic technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Knowledge of GLPs and other federal regulations and guidelines relating to the care of laboratory animals. Basic understanding of study design and protocols.
- Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50 pounds; this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals.
- Must be able to perform procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Must be able to frequently firmly hold species while utilizing fine motor skills.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work in a research environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from moderate to loud.
- The employee regularly works with live animals with risk of exposure to allergens, zoonotic disease, and biohazards.
- The noise level in the work environment ranges from low to high depending upon the species housed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to work/type at a computer.
•This position requires overtime, weekend, holiday, and/or after hours shift coverage, as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet