Research Associate II, Biomarkers - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
The Research Associate II contributes to Alexion discovery research and clinical development through the identification of suitable biomarkers for preclinical and clinical development and the optimization and validation of assays to detect biomarkers of therapeutic efficacy or disease activity. In addition, the RA II will help to discover novel biomarkers for rare diseases using cellular and animal models as well as clinical samples.
- Actively contribute to the biomarker team through the identification of potential new biomarkers of disease activity or therapeutic efficacy by performing literature reviews and database searches.
- Work as part of a team to design, develop, troubleshoot, and optimize protocols and follow existing protocols for the detection of selected biomarkers. Identify technical problems and propose solutions.
- Develop and qualify/validate innovative assays for preclinical and clinical biomarkers
- Carry out clinical sample testing, analyze data, and prepare data packages for publication, presentation and/or submission to regulatory agencies.
- Contribute to the identification and selection of new assay platforms and technologies
- Provide support as required to other team members as well as cross-functional groups.
- Maintains clear and traceable laboratory records of experiments and assays performed
The Research Associate II should have 1-2 years of relevant experience with an M.S. degree or 2-4 years of relevant experience with a BS degree , preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology setting, and exemplify the following attributes:
- Experience in assay development and validation is highly desirable
- Experience with clinical sample handling and tracking is a plus
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to successfully work independently and as part of a team
- In-depth understanding of the research laboratory environment; familiarity with all basic and some complex laboratory equipment / instrumentation
M.S.in cell biology, molecular biology, pharmacology or other biomedical science with 1-2 years of relevant experience, or a B.S. with 2-4 years of relevant experience, preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology setting.
- Proven track record of technical proficiency, creativity, experimental design and data analysis
- Experience with design and validation of biomarker assays is desirable
- Experience with protein detection assays including western blots, LiCor, capillary electrophoresis, MSD, Luminex andELISAs is very desirable
- Experience with cell based assays, microscopy, flow cytometry and RT-PCR is highly desirable
- Expertise in, mammalian cell culture, mammalian and human tissue handling/processing (FastPrep, Precellys), is a plus
- Familiarity with Prism, Microsoft excel, SoftMax Pro and FlowJo software packages is a plus.
- Experience with handling and analysis of clinical samples is a plus, familiarity with LIMS sample tracking is desirable
- Ability to overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced environment. Able to independently review the relevant literature to identify possible solutions to technical challenges.
- Excellent communication, record keeping and organizational skills
- Able to work independently as well as cross-functionally to achieve short and long term goals
New Haven, CT, United States
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and delivering life-transforming therapies for patients with devastating and rare disorders. Alexion developed and commercializes Soliris® (eculizumab), the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), two life-threatening ultra-rare disorders. As the global leader in complement inhibition, Alexion is strengthening and broadening its portfolio of complement inhibitors, including evaluating potential indications for eculizumab in additional severe and ultra-rare disorders. Alexion’s metabolic franchise includes two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare disorders, Strensiq® (asfotase alfa) to treat patients with hypophosphatasia (HPP) and Kanuma™ (sebelipase alfa) to treat patients with lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, Alexion is advancing the most robust rare disease pipeline in the biotech industry, with highly innovative product candidates in multiple therapeutic areas.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our App for iPhones and Blackberries.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative action employer