Research Assistant - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is seeking a Research Assistant to support the agronomy efforts of the Research Center.
- The primary focus of this role will be on agronomic activities necessary to reliably produce high quality seed for the research organization.
- The Research Assistant will mainly support crop protection (netting retrieval and covering) and the planting process and will be a backup employee for irrigation and integrated pest management (IPM) activities within the agronomy department.
- Perform activities necessary for producing crops including but not limited to: crop protection procedures; weed control; crop management – planting, cultivating, field scouting, spraying and harvesting; irrigation – system hooking up and installation
- Operate tractor and ATV
- Lead and/or supervise crew when designated
- Maintain all equipment in proper and safe working condition
- Verbal and written communication to all levels of staff and to provide guidance, feedback, direction and input to agronomy research associates and assist in short term planning related with field execution
- Support all Integrated Pest Management (IPM), planting and irrigation activities: weed control - hand weeding, insect control - ear injections, data entry in the agronomy database, assist with WPS posting requirements, cleaning equipment, replacing nozzles, pesticide storage room maintenance
- Follow all Company policies and procedures and adhere to Regulatory requirements
- Maintain and operate all equipment in proper and safe working condition. Ensure PPE is used in compliance with labels. Ensure compliance in all operations
- Complete personal development activities as part of a performance management and development plan
- HS Diploma/GED equivalent and 1-2 years of related experience operating heavy equipment
- Ability to operate machinery
- Proficient using computers and tablets
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work in an outdoor tropical setting in various field conditions
- Class 4 drivers license, or ability to obtain one in six months
- Ability to occasionally lift 20-40lbs
- Flexibility to work weekends and/or holidays during seasonal peaks
The following are preferred:
- CDL (commercial drivers license)
- Organization and time management skills to handle multiple tasks and priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to carry out tasks in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to communicate, read, and interpret instructions in English and carry out tasks in the absence of supervision
- Ability to work with others in a team setting and of diverse cultural backgrounds and languages