Research Assistant I - Research and Development - United States
Responsible for performing routine experiments and analyzing data to support new product and service development and associated support functions related to daily operations of Research and Development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform routine and newly designed experiments by the R&D department related to the Accugenix® identification and typing services and related fields of molecular biology and microbiology.
- Conduct data review, analysis and make summaries related to R&D experiments.
- Assist in the evaluation of new technologies.
- Support R&D efforts in characterization and maintenance of the microbial culture collection preparing samples and confirming identifications.
- Provide routine maintenance, repair and cleaning of all laboratory equipment.
- Comply with all aspects of laboratory safety, safety stations, safety manuals, safety SOP and MSDS sheets.
- May assist in the development and review of controlled documents such as Standard Operating Procedures and Specifications.
- May assist in the execution of protocols.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in a scientific discipline or related field.
- Experience: One to two years related experience required.
- A technical understanding of microbiology and molecular biology methods including genomic DNA extraction procedures, sequencing, primer design, PCR, cleanup methods, rapid gel separations, and microbial identification by sequencing is required.
- Additional knowledge of the MALDI-TOF technology is highly desirable.
- Experience with bioinformatics tools and DNA analysis highly desirable.
- Experience with GMP services preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Must have working knowledge of Quality Systems. Computer literacy must include word processing, use of spreadsheets and databases. Attention to detail needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet