Regional Operational Buying Unit Lead - China
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- The Regional Operational Buying Unit Lead is accountable for the Operational Buying Unit (OBU) and Transactional Procurement resources within the Regional OBU. Reporting to the Operational Buying Unit Lead, APAC in this critical Leadership Role, they will ensure that all day-to-day Procurement activities are delivered across the region, and ultimately for delivering end-user service delivery.
- This Lead is accountable for ensuring all purchases within the Region are conducted in line with the relevant Category Strategy through application of the buying rules contained in the Category Handbook.
- They will act as a point of escalation for all Operational Buying and Transactional issues across the Region.
- They will apply their leadership and management skills, as well as operational-buying knowledge to lead the delivery of ad-hoc, unplanned business-led buying activities to ensure maximum possible value and compliance for company.
- They will coordinate across the Global OBU, Operational Buying resources, the Transactional team, and Local Procurement Partner’s to ensure a smooth flow of information, and ensuring that the relevant sourcing process is applied.
- They must have considerable knowledge of local Procurement processes and systems, and work to ensure this knowledge is embedded in their teams.
- They will guide their team in the application of the operational buying process, with a particular focus on the execution of Spot Buying and Tactical Sourcing.
- In doing so, they will ensure their team is available to support the Global Category Teams with expert advice and support in the application of eSourcing as it relates to proactive Procurement initiatives and including the effective execution of RfIs, RfQs, and RfPs using company’s technology platform (Ariba).
- They are accountable for ensuring all day-to-day contracting activities such as the preparation of SoWs, Change Orders and Work Orders are delivered across the region.
- By efficiently and effectively leading the operational buying process from end-to-end, they will ensure that end user demand is satisfied and that high levels of internal customer service are delivered to the Business.
- They will guide their teams to collaborate with Global Category Teams and Project Managers to address end-user requests where a standard route to market does not exist, and to escalate potential opportunities for above market (or regional) aggregation and leverage.
- They will work ensure their buyers work closely with the Local Procurement Partners to engage the end-user wherever required.
- They will require business level fluency in English, as well as their region’s primary operating language.
- Additional competence in other relevant languages in their region is beneficial.
- People management responsibilities for all Operational Buyers and Transactional resources including:
- Establish clear roles and responsibilities for the resources that they directly manage and that these are clearly communicated and understood
- Provide initial escalation point for internal issues relating to their team’s responsibilities and ensure they are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
- Conduct the individual performance management process (e.g. goal-setting, development and performance reviews, etc.) for all directly managed resources and contribute any feedback to other resources as requested by their performance managers
- Develop a succession plan for the team to support career development and ensure a pipeline of talent
- Ensure effective information flows between Regional and Category resources to deliver seamless Procurement service to the business and maximum value delivery to company.
- Lead all Regional OBU activities within their region ensuring a focus on the SLA and quality of customer service. This includes:
- Ensuring end user requirements are received directly or via the Local Procurement Partner by their team
- Ensuring that all purchases leverage the applicable Category Handbook, and sourcing knowledge to determine the best method for driving value in meeting the request
- Driving compliance by ensuring team members execute purchases via the determined method, applying eSourcing where possible
- Ensuring that team members communicate the outcome of any sourcing activity back to the end user for a final decision
- Ensuring that team members create relevant purchasing documentation is created, including wherever required contracting using agree contract templates and clauses
- Accountable for developing performance metrics for all Regional Operational and Transactional Procurement activity and agreeing these metrics with the relevant Procurement Lead.
- Act as the primary point of escalation for all Operational and Transactional risks and issues within the Region.
- Accountable for ensuring that all global and regional procurement content is adapted to local requirements where required. Accountable for ensuring that this accurately reflects global standards and regional requirements or adaptations are agreed with content owners.
- Accountable for ensuring that global or regional deals are translated into local agreements (when required) and languages against which Operational Buying can be performed. Includes contracting, supplier on-boarding, catalog establishment / updates and maintenance or other requested support.
- Accountable for ensuring adequate support is provided for local implementation of global and regional initiatives for sites where there is no dedicated Local Procurement Partner
- Perform continuous professional development activities relevant to their area and ensure training in processes and systems relevant to their position
- Degree level educated, with business related degree preferable
- Business level fluency in primary sub-region language
- 3+ years operational procurement experience with sufficient experience in basic contracting, eSourcing and spot buying
- Experience in leading or supporting cost reduction and value improvement programs
- Excellent communication, leadership and proven (1-2 years) management capabilities including the ability to provide reasonable feedback and development support to staff
- Demonstrated experience in leading and / or managing a number of activities in parallel
- Considerable communication and leadership skills including a demonstrated understanding of how to translate business requirements into Procurement operations or specifications with best value and customer service in mind
- Considerable knowledge in systems and processes for efficient management of contract documentation, templates and processing tools (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction) with familiarity and awareness of relevant legal risks and issues
- Experience in Procurement requisition and procure to pay systems and processes for efficient updates to contract documentation, templates and processing tools (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction)
- Experience in providing customer support over multiple countries and by demonstrating strong communication skills
- Experience in an offshore or shared service operating environments
- Strong skills in basic MS Office© software and other business systems (Ariba, Emptoris Mpower, SAP etc.)
- Post graduate business related qualification
- Documented international strategic sourcing or cost reduction experience
- Pharmaceutical Industry experience
- Shared service center team management experience
- Any Professional Purchasing (e.g. CIPS) or Finance related licenses or certifications would be considered advantageous
- Experience with enterprise systems and procure to pay tools and eSourcing tools such as Ariba, Emptoris, SAP or Purchase Order technology is preferred
- Competence or fluency in other region’s languages strongly encouraged
Ability to travel (air and ground both domestic and internationally) up to 15% for meetings at compay and supplier sites.