Regional Medical Director, Emerging Markets - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company continues to expand its operations internationally following its first product launch in 2017.
- We are looking for inspirational leaders who understand what it will take to grow the organization to advance company’s mission of bringing innovative medicines in unmet liver disease to patients. Success of our teams will be defined by accelerating broad access to patients for company’s innovation.
- We have an exciting new opportunity for a Regional Medical Director, Emerging Markets to join our International organization.
- Reporting to the VP Medical Affairs, EUCA, the Regional Medical Director, Emerging Markets will be the key company Medical bridge with the Distributor teams in the Emerging Markets. There are no direct line reports so strong matrix management skills are critical.
- As of January 2017, the proposed Distributors are planned to cover the GCC markets, Israel and select markets in Eastern Europe (TBC).
- There is the potential to expand into further geographies in the future, depending on corporate strategy.
- Working closely with the Distributors and in partnership with the VP, Commercial, Emerging Markets, this person will be responsible for ensuring the effective deployment of Medical Affairs capabilities in the Region and ensuring the delivery of high quality, compliant and aligned Medical plans in the pre-launch and post-launch phases. Considerable knowledge of (and ideally experience working in) the proposed Emerging Markets is needed.
- In addition experience working with Distributors is highly desired to help build the partner capability quickly and efficiently.
- Experience in hepatology or gastroenterology would be an advantage.
- This individual will also be a key member of the International Medical Leadership Team and will support the VP, Medical Affairs, International as required for on-going projects and activities across the wider Global Medical and International organisation.
- It is a unique opportunity to help to build out the Emerging Market organisation from the beginning and to play a key role in establishing our company as a strong partner with the Distributors.
- This role will require extensive travel, mainly to ensure regular face to face interactions with the Distributors, but also to support them in key external activities such as training of MSLs, Commercial and Medical teams, and providing expert input into Advisory Boards and scientific congresses.
- In addition, there will be occasional travel around Europe and to the USA to attend key internal and external meetings.
- As a relatively new organisation, our people need to further develop credible and trusted relationships with key regional and country stakeholders, and be passionate about tackling Liver Disease. Internally, it is critical that this person is committed to building effective cross-functional and cross-regional partnerships.
- This role will demand an ability to work strategically and operationally in equal measures and the right person will thrive in ambiguity and possess an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. There’s a significant amount to deliver – so high energy levels and a sense of humor will be required.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential function in balance.
- Medical lead for company interfacing with the Distributor Medical teams and ensuring the highest standards of governance and business conduct, to ensure full compliance with internal company policies and external laws, codes and regulations.
- Supporting the Distributor teams to establish our company as a highly credible partner in unmet Liver Disease with the clinical stakeholders in the Emerging Markets region:Ensuring Medical Plans are developed and executed in line with company strategy
- Developing detailed monitoring and tracking of plan execution across the various geographies
- Guide the local Medical teams to ensure high quality engagement with academic thought leaders, to ensure that the company’s products will serve the clinical needs of patients and to ensure a balanced discussion on their safety and efficacy.
- Help to plan the evolution of the Distributor Medical Affairs department in the Emerging Markets to optimize support for OCA as well as assist in attracting, developing and retaining talent to fulfill the mission of our company.
- In partnership with Global Medical Affairs (GMA) ensure appropriate training of staff at the Distributors to maintain excellent levels of scientific and medical knowledge.
- Establish and embed appropriate and compliant Medical Information and Pharmacovigilance infrastructures in each geography, as dictated by local regulations
- Ensure post marketing commitments, e.g. patient registries, are complied with.
- Develop recommendations for Phase IV studies and be the conduit between the Distributors and Clinical Operations for Investigator Sponsored Trials.
- Provide timely and well informed guidance to broader activities, including but not limited to Health Technology Appraisals.
- Key member of the International (ex-US) Medical Affairs Leadership Team responsible for jointly establishing the International Medical plan and ensuring sharing and implementation of best practice.
- An MD (or equivalent degree, e.g. MB ChB); experience in Hepatology or Gastroenterology is also desirable.
- The individual will ideally have a higher medical qualification (e.g. MRCP) and specialist accreditation in pharmaceutical medicine (e.g. MFPM or equivalent)
- Significant experience in Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry, with further experience in Clinical Research desirable.
- Prior experience managing Distributor relationships, ideally in the Gulf States
- Prior leadership experience essential
- Demonstrated organizational skills encompassing the successful management of internal and external teams in a matrix team environment.
- Deep practical knowledge of Good Clinical Practices and the legal and regulatory requirements of working within a biopharmaceutical company across Europe.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Good coaching/training skills
- Recent experience in launching new innovations and supporting access for patients.
- Willingness to take the initiative and become directly involved in planning, problem solving and execution of work in a team environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an excellent cross-functional partnership-working style.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills – including taking ownership to ensure timely resolution, a strong sense of urgency, keen attention to detail, and the ability to plan, organize and successfully execute in an environment under time and resource pressures.
- Must be focused and able to meet tight timetables.
- Being a part of building our company's International organization from the outset is a unique opportunity.
- The position provides high visibility and growth opportunities for talented individuals who would like to accelerate themselves in a growing organization.
- Excellent remuneration package on offer.