This job is currently Archived,
R&I Researcher - United Kingdom
Posted on : 21 October 2017
Solvay is a leading supplier of composite materials, process consumables and tooling to industries such as high performance automotive, Formula 1, aerospace, rail, defense, renewable energy and marine. Within the composites business line, we are drive by fast customer response, unmatched technical support, technology and innovation and unparalleled product quality, offering a dynamic culture of “Delivering Innovation with real advantage”.
As an R&I Researcher, you will be at the heart of our ambitious growth plans with an unrivalled opportunity to develop innovative, market leading composite materials and processes for a variety of applications. In the role of R&I Researcher, you will be located at our site in Wrexham, where our Research and Innovation team is based.
- Resin formulation and application development of carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites for next generation materials. The selected individual will work in a multifunctional team and interact with people in different functions and regions
- Establish structure/property relationships of materials to develop theories and understanding of materials behavior
- Study and resolve fundamental topics in the area of material science and composite materials
- Assist in the review and monitoring of patent/scientific literature relevant to the industry and actively seek ways to protect and exploit Solvay's IP
- Write project reports and preparing presentations
- Participate in Health, Safety & Environmental initiatives as set for by the company
- Formulation experience in particular thermosets is the basic requirement for this position.
- Expertise in polymer thermal and mechanical analytical techniques (DSC, Rheology, DMA, TGA)
- Understanding of the fundamentals of composite materials
- Appreciation of composite manufacturing and processing technologies
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Knowledge and experience with Six-Sigma tools is preferred.
- Up to 3 years related experience
- Post Graduate Degree (PhD or Masters) in Polymer Chemistry / Physics, Material Science, Chemical Engineering or a Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience in Research and Innovation.
- A challenging and international work environment in a globally operating company
- A broad range of responsibilities and the opportunity to develop career aspirations