Program Manager – Growth Microbiology - United States
BD is searching for a Program Manager (PM) to drive instrument or assay projects for the BD Growth Microbiology platform. The projects within the Growth Microbiology platform span the following disease states: ID/AST (Phoenix), Sepsis (BACTEC) and TB (MGIT). The PM will lead cross-functional Core Teams in executing all aspects of product development; from Concept definition, into development and verification and validation, through clinical trials, and worldwide regulatory clearance/registration, and through a successful commercial launch. The PM is ultimately responsible for the execution, quality and results of their project, and the success of the resulting product in the market, including achieving defined strategic and financial objectives once the project has launched. The Program Manager is measured on their ability to lead the team in achieving cost, schedule, and performance goals of the project. Key competencies of a high-functioning PM include their innovative ideas and approaches, commercial excellence, optimized execution and performance, cross-functional and project leadership, managerial skills in leading teams, and their personal effectiveness.
- Refines the high-level product concept to fulfill the customer and/or market requirements.
- Works with Marketing to help refine and understand customer/market requirements. May also spend time with customers/end-users and invest in understanding customer environment and customer needs.
- Leads the creation of the cross-functional project plan, including budget and resource planning, to fulfill the product concept.
- Resolves personal/team conflicts and project/functional conflicts by working with appropriate functional leaders as needed to resolve issues around functional input, expertise, or skill sets needed on the project(s).
- Drives to eliminating or minimizing critical barriers to progress, including raising significant hurdles to Senior management's attention for resolution.
- Provides work definition and direction to the assigned cross-functional Core Team Members.
- Aligns and manages all cross-functional activities to deliver the product on time and on budget per contract while meeting agreed upon technical, operational, business and customer requirements.
- Provides guidance to core team members on work streams and approaches and also may provide feedback to functional leaders for Core Team Member year-end performance reviews.
- Works with the Finance and Marketing Core Team Members to develop the financial analysis of the project as needed.
- Manages the project budget including capital equipment requirements, accountability includes managing program/projects to approved spending by development phase as well as managing fiscal year budget implications.
- Leads successful commercial, design, and business reviews for the assigned projects, escalating as appropriate risks/ issues/concerns of the team to appropriate functional leadership and/or the portfolio decision team.
- Ensures quality, reliability, stability of product design including acceptability of product by intended customers.
- Responsible for accurate and timely reporting of assigned projects, e.g. dashboard report and updates business databases.
- Responsible for updates to either the Portfolio Decision Team or the Growth Microbiology Platform Team.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 5 + years relevant Core Team Lead or Member experience.
- A minimum of 3+ years of team leadership in product development with progressively increasing complexity of assignments. Relevant experience in medical devices, IVDs, or pharma highly preferred.
- Experience in a regulated environment; preferably a medical device, biotechnology or pharmaceutical company, especially 510(k) and PMA submissions.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate, consult, and/or lead teams and drive for results in a matrixed global environment. Ability to collaborate and navigate through all levels of the organization to influence outcomes.
Additional and Preferred Qualifications:
- Prior knowledge with a life sciences project, in particular one dealing with microorganism identification or antimicrobial susceptibility is strongly preferred.
- Proven track record in leading change and achieving results.
- Strategic Thinking – effective at integrating and balancing short and long-term opportunities and challenges to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Experience with time reporting and project management tools.
- Excellent communication and organization skills, including the ability to communicate with customer personnel at all levels (IT, Clinician, Management).
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to integrate technical, business, and customer information to generate and differentiated solutions and concepts.
- Ability to conceptualize and distill large complex problems into constituent components. Ability to integrate and synthesize numerous complex data to derive clear and actionable information.
- Demonstrated experience as a hands-on leader with the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct all functions involved in the development of the assigned product.
- Comprehensive cross-functional knowledge and perspective - Ability to understand, verify, and articulate key cross-functional technical challenges and solutions that impact the project.
- Maintains awareness of current and future possible policies, practices, trends and information that could impact the program or the overall business.
- Ability to travel at times up to 15%.