Production Agronomist - South Africa
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Company with its origins deeply rooted in agriculture, is a leader in the Seed Industry and an award winner in its field.
- Our longstanding successes, both locally and abroad, have made us not only a choice provider, but also a choice employer.
- The incumbent serves as the primary field contact for location seed production which includes: grower management (ex. selection, training, selling the seed contract value, contract management, and support). Leads the field selection effort, coordinate field mapping, product placement, and seed field quality control, develops and leads the integrated pest management program, including budget considerations and vendor agreements.
- Supervises field activities and plant operations, performs analysis on production efforts, and prepares and presents reports as needed for the assignments undertaken.
- Evaluate & analyze the local competitive seed environment, gather crop management information for specific inbred, including nutrient requirements, insecticide, and herbicide recommendations.
- Keep abreast of current agronomic practices, government agricultural programs, environmental issues related to all phases of seed production.
- Involved in most or all aspects grower relations, including but not limited to: acreage allocations, contracts, conflict resolution, training and development on production management programs.
- Coordination of Integrated Pest Management program including: vendor selection, agreement administration, hiring and managing scouts, and developing a cost effective, environmentally sound method of enhancing yields.
- Supervise personnel for field activities.
- 2-4 years in agronomy or related field and prior experience working with seed growers and seed plant operations.
- Minimum Education Required:
- College/university degree or equivalent.
Additional required knowledge, skills and attributes:
- Priority management with ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions
- Grower relations skills and experience
- Ability to perform physical and technical demands.
- Experience & ability to train, lead, and motivate field crews.
- Must continually study, discuss, and identify best practices in planting, cultivation, harvesting, methods of weed/disease/insect control, etc.