Procurement Specialist Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Sourcing Specialist will report to the Regional Procurement Manager and will work in active leadership role with various stakeholders and suppliers as part of Site Procurement Team. Lead the sourcing of materials and services to support business units across the Merck Animal Health division with a specific focus on the site. Scope of spend impacted will be dependent upon the size, scale and complexities of the site and categories managed. The categories for a Sourcing Specialist will be strategic in nature and highly complex and require a wide breadth of skills including.
1. Site Stakeholder Engagement – to understand stakeholder requirements in relation to establishing supply strategy and proactive mitigation of supply risk/issues. Participation in site Tier meetings. Lead Stakeholder engagement meetings. Schedule routine reviews. Be able to translate Stakeholder requirements into tangible business results.
2. Relationship Management - Work with Business representatives, Legal and other stakeholders, to develop requirements. Conduct Relationship Management meetings with Key and Active suppliers. Manage Supplier Performance levels.
3. Sourcing – to create and execute Requests For Information and Requests For Proposals together with subsequent structured information analysis wherever possible using modern electronic procurement processes. Ensuring all Business Requirements are captured. Lead the assessment of all proposals using predefined criteria derived from the Business Requirements. Ensure Stakeholders are aligned with Assessments and Outcome.
4. Negotiation Planning and Execution – to create detailed pre-negotiation plans, to lead and participate any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers and to conduct post negotiation debriefs and follow through plans. Drive negotiations to deliver the most value for the business.
5. Contract Management – to prepare and implement appropriate forms of contract and commitment with suppliers. Liaise with corporate Legal as needed for review of contract clause. Lead all term negotiations. Candidate will have a strong understanding of contract language and legal positions.
6. Supplier Performance Management – to ensure that appropriate supplier agreements and relationships have good supplier matrix embedded within them. Monitor, report, manage and continuously improve supplier performance using OTIF metrics and other tools. Drive innovation with Key Suppliers. Conduct meetings with a routine cadence.
7. Sharing of Learnings – Being able to work cross functionally within the Site Team, Region and across Categories and Regions and to share best practices where applicable.
8. Policy Adherence – Ensure that all procurement is carried out in an ethical and controlled manner in line with procurement policy and procedures. Assist with the ongoing review of Procurement practices and procedures in conjunction with the Regional Manager. Be able to interpret and enforce policy adherence for stakeholders and supply base.
9. Drive Cost Savings – Identify, Track and Deliver cost reduction opportunities; focusing on the accuracy of delivery. Have an understanding of standard costs and cost setting process. Be able to manage Purchase Price Variance for the site and track as a component of cost reduction. Manage approvals for cost reduction initiatives with Stakeholder Management and Finance.
10. Improve Working Capital - Identify Track and Deliver working capital improvement opportunities, including payment terms monitoring and assistance in inventory reduction programs.
Other duties may include:
1. Supplier and Supply Market Analysis – to conduct a detailed supplier and supply market analysis looking at facts and data analysis, reports and changes in technology and with the objective of providing deep and meaningful insight to Sourcing Management teams. Manage 3rd Party Market Intelligence Service Provider through the development of clear scopes of work and ensuring accurate and timely deliverables.
2. Cost Modeling – in some instances construct detailed cost models/purchase price analysis of goods and services that are supplied to Merck, typically this will require extensive supplier visits to create a complete understanding of the cost structure of suppliers. Manage Associate Specialist or Analyst in meeting the needs of the space.
3. Strategic Analysis – to conduct up to six separate forms of project analysis which turns the information gathered from 1) and 2) above into insightful, well-structured breakthrough options and opportunities. Examples include Portfolio Analysis, Supplier Preferencing and Day One Sourcing.
4. Category Team Membership – to be an active member of one or more category teams using the techniques and content created in 1) to 11) above as input in the creation of breakthrough strategies. Be able to lead Local/Regional Category Strategies or subsets of Global Category Strategies.
5. Sourcing Strategy Development – Develop sourcing strategies that drive the key performance indicators of the department are aligned with the Stakeholder Business Requirements and drive the most value for the company.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- 4 year accredited degree program preferred (work experience in field evaluated in lieu of Degree)
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience: 5-7 years’ experience of procurement and commerce
- Demonstrate strong negotiation/commercial skills
- Must be capable of prioritizing and multi-tasking work to an agreed schedule
- Must be self-motivated and be able to work both individually or as part of a team
- Must have a flexible approach to workload
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- SAP System Knowledge
- CPIM or CIPS certification
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Procurement Generic
Job Title:Spclst, Procurement
Primary Location: NA-US-NE-Elkhorn
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Omaha
Nearest Secondary Market: Council Bluffs
Job Segment: Procurement, ERP, Supply, SAP, Data Analyst, Operations, Technology, Data