Principal/Senior Principal Scientist, Protein Sciences - United Kingdom
- Our company is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines and solutions to transform the lives of people living with severe diseases of the immune system or of the central nervous system.
- With more than 7,700 people in approximately 40 countries, the company generated revenue of € 3.9 billion in 2015.
- Our company recently recognised as the best employer with the Cogent Life Science Awards, is a fast growing global company with an investment of more than 25% of revenue in cutting-edge scientific research to meet unmet patient needs.
- We have a passionate, long-term commitment to discovering and developing innovative medicines that transform the lives of people with severe diseases.
- We are currently seeking a protein engineer / expression scientist with extensive experience in recombinant therapeutic protein production to join the Protein Sciences team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a significant scientific contribution to exciting drug discovery projects based around antibodies and other biological entities.
- As a member of the Protein Sciences team you will be part of a highly skilled and knowledgeable team with in depth experience of all aspects of therapeutic protein production from the generation of therapeutic antibodies, novel therapeutic antibody formats through to novel non-antibody biological therapeutics and technologies.
- The role will be a leadership position, with line management responsibilities of a sub-team of the Protein Sciences group.
- Overall the Protein Sciences group is responsible for the inception, molecular understanding and non-clinical scale production of all antibody and non-antibody proteins and supports them through project transitions through to manufacturing expression systems.
- The sub-team focusses on early stage projects which involve novel NBE’s and technologies, including a growing interest in non-antibody therapeutics.
- Lab based scientist with science leadership skills taking a lead role in the innovation, design and delivery of potential therapeutic proteins.
- A key aspect of this position will be communication both within the Protein Science team and across multiple disciplines (project teams, antibody discovery, intellectual property and clinical production teams) ensuring that information on work progress is relayed in a clear manner, highlighting any technical issues/opportunities and providing potential solutions.
- A major component of the role involves understanding the protein needs of early stage projects and therapeutic area scientists along with coordination of delivery with project teams.
- PhD holders with several years of research experience, preferably with some time spent in an industrial setting.
- Understanding of the technical, clinical and intellectual property landscape of therapeutic antibodies and therapeutic non-antibody proteins.
- Familiar with lab and manufacturing scale mammalian cell, E.coli, yeast or insect cell expression systems.
- Demonstrable molecular biology and protein purification / analysis skills including plasmid production / DNA sequencing, transient HEK/CHO expression, affinity chromatography, ion exchange, SEC, ELISA, PAGE).
- General knowledge of lab software systems including Office, VectorNTi, eLabBooks, protein logging systems along with searching for literature, patents and PDB.
- Protein structure visualization and modelling software suites would be advantageous (PyMOL or similar).
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills which can be used both within and outside of the company.
- Publication of papers, patent applications and conference presentations.
- National / international connections within the scientific community.
- Understanding of the pre-clinical drug discovery and clinical drug development phases.
Job Segment: Scientific, Scientist, Patent, Molecular Biology, Engineering, Science, Research, Legal