Principal Scientist - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- BD Biosciences is a world leader in bringing innovative diagnostic and research tools to life scientists, clinical researchers, laboratory professionals, and clinicians involved in basic research, drug discovery & development, biopharmaceutical production, and disease management.
- The Cell Analysis business unit has a long history of innovation and leadership in development and commercialization of cell analysis tools, platforms and assays serving a diverse array of customers and market categories.
- The Principal Scientist, SA will contribute directly to BD’s future growth by playing a central role in setting the direction of the technical, scientific and business innovation within BD Biosciences’ Cell Analysis business unit through engagement with the broader scientific and medical community.
- We are seeking a highly innovative, passionate, and talented individual to join our team.
- The Principal Scientist will be a member of the R&D organization and report to the VP of Scientific Affairs.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Identify unmet clinical diagnostic needs that create new opportunities for flow cytometry
- Provide technical, scientific and user insights to drive best products throughout the development cycle
- Scientific and technical leadership for innovation activities
- Including internal development projects
- Sensing trends through global thought leader engagement and participation
- Evaluation of external technologies
- Business cases for new areas
- Direct/advise BD internal and BD external research programs
- Lead and manage strategic external engagements
- Industry conferences- presentations, etc
- Developing relationships with academic institutions, scientific institutions, companies and investors to keep abreast of important opportunities and to foster technology-development linkages to other businesses
- Collaborations on scientific and clinical problems to use BD’s capabilities to push the field forward
- Proven track record as global leader in field driving new life science innovations, leading to tangible success (publications, presentations, grant funding, patents, new products, etc)
- Strong communication skills to be able to translate technology and science into the business and position this to drive strategic decisions for the future (including strong presentation skills before large audiences).
- Strong TEAM player that needs to influence through strength of insights and supporting evidence to bring the organization along.
- Able to integrate a multiplicity of inputs to arrive at best strategic decisions.
- Advanced degree: MD, PhD or both
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in highly related field (e.g. immunology, oncology, hematology, cell therapy, regenerative medicine, cell biology)
- Regarded as leader in field
- Experience integrating science and technology into new applications
Technical & Analytical Skills
- Strong knowledge of scientific and technical principles
- Able to draw upon technical breadth to evaluate concepts outside area(s) of personal expertise
- Excellent analytical skills & discipline; able to conduct thorough analysis of concepts that have high uncertainty
- Excellent critical thinking skills; able to constructively challenge ideas and invite critical feedback
- Intellectual drive to gain firsthand understanding of customer needs
- Focused on maintaining current knowledge about market and competitive dynamics
- Thrives on interaction with the external business and academic community
Business and Strategic Acumen
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments and timely decisions
- Approaches day-to-day decisions from a strategic perspective
- Capable of conducting thorough analysis while pragmatic enough to progress early concepts through incubation and commercialization stages
- Ability to create novel and unique value from different concepts
- Passionate, energetic leader within a team environment
- Polished, professional and approachable style
- Leads through building relationships; demonstrated skills facilitating across functions and disciplines; motivated by collective success
- Skilled change agent; demonstrated capability to balance a drive for cultural change with a sensitivity to the consequences of change
- Agile learner, tolerant of risk, and biased towards action
- Skilled communicator at all levels; able to translate complex business and technical concepts for diverse audiences; able to craft executive communications to facilitate decision-making