Principal Scientist, Research Analytics (Bioinformatics) Cambridge United States,
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We seek a talented, collaborative Bioinformatics Scientist to participate in algorithm design and implementation, development of processing and data analysis/mining tools, with a focus on Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and data integration. This individual will play a key scientific role enabling innovative computational analysis strategies across a wide range of data sources to empower data-driven decisions and improve therapeutic outcomes in complex diseases of unmet medical need.
Expertise in the analysis of large genomic datasets, and contemporary methods for processing, analysis and integration of NGS data are prerequisite. The position would suit an individual with exceptional NGS bioinformatics, communication and collaboration skills.
Working alongside computational, biology and clinical researchers across the Celgene Research and Early Development organization, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Pursue leading applied computational genomics approaches aligned with key Celgene scientific objectives.
- Apply contemporary methods for genomic data processing, analysis and mining. Develop and maintain NGS data processing pipeline focusing on the creation of integrated datasets derived from public and internal data sources.
- Design, implement and apply novel algorithms for data mining and data analysis aiming to the interpretation of complex datasets and stratification of patients with diseases of unmet need.
- Provide written documentation and specifications for developed methods and workflows.
- Guide and implement genomic profiling plans including integration and processing of high quality genomic data from internal and external sources for population stratification.
- Contribute to presentation and reporting of methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard.
Background experience & complementary knowledge
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, genetics, computer science or related discipline at a recognized higher-education establishment.
- 7+ years relevant post-doctoral experience of inter-disciplinary bioinformatics research, in academic or industry research scenarios. Publication record in analysis of next-generation sequencing data (RNA-seq, Whole Exome, Whole genome, ChIP-Seq, etc).
- Good knowledge of molecular biology, genetics, and genomics with understanding of molecular profiling technologies.
- Experience with high performance computing, including cloud computing (AWS), cloud HPC, docker and team collaboration software.
- Skilled in statistical analysis and applied machine learning.
- Expertise in Linux, with working knowledge of Windows/MacOS.
- Good programming skills using scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python, R/Bioconductor, Matlab).
- Expert knowledge of current bioinformatics trends, public genomic tools, databases and utilities, with a focus on Next Generation Sequencing and genome annotation.
- Experience developing and integrating data analysis tools to manipulate large datasets.
- Motivated, innovative and strong team player able to function with a high degree of independence. Demonstrable ability for deep and creative thinking.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Find a Job Find Candidates