Principal Scientist – Functional Genomics Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking an experienced leader with expertise in high-throughput functional genomics to join the Genome Sciences team within the Department of Genetics & Pharmacogenomics (GpGx) at MRL Boston. Our mission in GpGx is to leverage human genetics and cutting edge molecular biology tools to identify and functionally validate novel targets and pathways for therapeutic intervention. The successful candidate will direct the use of CRISPR gene editing to validate human genetic targets identified through genome-wide association studies (GWAS) and Mendelian disease genomics. Responsibilities include the development of cell-based functional assays to elucidate the consequences of allelic variation in genetic targets associated with disease phenotypes in the areas of immunology, neuroscience, oncology, and cardiometabolic disease.
The responsibilities of the candidate include but are not limited to:
- Scientific leadership and management of a CRISPR screening project portfolio
- Working closely with stakeholders in Chemical Biology and Disease Biology teams to design and execute CRISPR screens, from initial genome-scale screen through hit-conformation
- Development of cell-based assays using a variety of technologies for measuring disease-relevant phenotypes
- Maintaining knowledge and expertise in emerging technologies and applications for genome engineering
- Written and verbal communication of study results to project teams and leadership, including proposals for further experiments to validate key findings
- Ph.D. degree with 10+ years of post-graduate experience
- An understanding of human genetics and functional genomics tools used to identify disease-associated genetic variation
- Experience with high-throughput genomic screening using RNAi and CRISPR
- Significant experience in the supervision and mentoring of scientific researchers, and demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team
- Demonstrated experience managing a portfolio of research projects
- Extensive hands-on experience and leadership of high-throughput automated cell-based assay development using a variety of technologies for measuring disease-relevant phenotypes
- Experience with NGS technology and use in the interpretation of genomic screens
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, including an ability to effectively communicate experimental design, results and conclusions
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job Title:Prin. Scientist, Biology-Discovery
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: Standard laboratory biological and chemical hazards
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston
Job Segment: Neurology, Scientific, Chemistry, Immunology, Oncology, Healthcare, Engineering, Science