Principal Scientist, Discovery Toxicology Program Leader Job South San Francisco United States,
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is seeking an experienced Discovery Program Leader (DPL) to represent Safety Assessment & Laboratory Animal Resources (SALAR) on discovery research teams at the South San Francisco, CA site. The DPL is embedded with discovery teams and serves as the liaison to the SALAR Preclinical Development organization located in West Point, PA. Thus, this position requires exceptional leadership, collaboration and independence.
The DPL is responsible for defining and overseeing the SALAR strategy for small molecule, peptide and biologics programs from Target Identification through to the approval of First-In-Human enabling GLP toxicity studies. They are responsible for 1) providing risk assessments for targets, 2) de-risking strategies for programs as members of discovery teams and 3) instructing SALAR staff at other sites to execute on the appropriate studies to support selection of therapeutic targets and the identification and development of new drug candidates with the highest probability of success for the intended indication. The DPL may also serve on development teams and is encourage to develop an external to Merck presence acting as a member of pharmaceutical industry consortia and/or external scientific or professional organizations as appropriate.
In this role you will:
- Represents SALAR on discovery teams and participate in therapeutic area discovery governance committee reviews when appropriate.
- Identify and assess potential risks associated with therapeutic targets or development candidates using available literature, internal data, and external information.
- Define the appropriate in silico, in vitro and in vivo studies, including the design, dose selection and timing to help innovate and select candidates with the highest probability of success, and collaborate with SALAR and discovery scientists to assure the appropriate conduct of these studies.
- Effectively communicate the safety de-risking strategies, study data and conclusions to discovery teams, governance committees, and management.
- Collaborates with the discovery and SALAR scientists to address other scientific issues including assessment of efficacy, metabolism, formulation and purity of drug product and substance.
- Work closely with the SALAR development compound leaders and therapeutic area leaders to align on development plans, to facilitate a smooth transition of discovery programs into development and to assure the highest probability of success for the initiation of first into man studies.
- Provide due diligence support for licensing efforts of targets and candidates.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of exploratory and mechanistic studies supporting discovery teams.
- PhD, DVM or MD degree
- Minimum 5 years of pharmaceutical industry experience as a non-clinical safety assessment scientist (e.g. Toxicology, Pathology etc.) and/or as non-clinical safety assessment representative to a cross-functional development and/or discovery team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate cross-functional lines and drive team decision making in a matrix organizational structure.
- Highly dedicated, motivated, resilient and flexible; capable of creative problem solving and delivering on goals and objectives in a timely fashion in a scientific business model setting.
- Excellent team player who is able to work collaboratively with discovery team members from various functions, other SALAR DPLs and SALAR scientist responsible for study conduct and portfolio management in the development space towards common objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to establish good working relationships within networks of employees of all levels and personalities fostering cooperation in others.
- Excellent communicator who know when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to appropriated stakeholders and to management; keeps both team members, colleagues and management full apprise of project/initiative status and issues.
- Experience with biopharmaceuticals and small molecules pharmaceutical development and/or discovery.
- Experience in problem solving for non-clinical toxicological issues and developing assays to de-risk compounds.
- Experience and knowledge in cardio-metabolic and oncology disease areas.
- Experience with regulatory submissions and responses.
- Experience as member of pharmaceutical consortia and/or external scientific or professional organizations.
Our employees are the key to our company s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Preclinical Dev Generic
Job Title:Principal Scientist, Discovery Toxicology Program Leader
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Toxicology, Pathology, Law, Oncology, Pharmaceutical, Science, Healthcare, Legal
Find a Job Find Candidates