- Our company is the world leader in plant biotechnology area including discovery, development and delivery of elite crop genetics.
- Our company is aggressively building Big Data and Predictive Analytics capabilities in order to deliver improved services to our customers.
- You’ll become part of a work environment that nurtures your interests, ignites your passion, creates opportunities to serve and helps you attain success–both personally and professionally.
- The hiring level will be commensurate with the level of experience.
- This is a critical position with the potential to make immediate, significant impact on our business.
- The successful candidate will have an extensive background in statistical computing and machine learning through courses or thesis/dissertation, and proven experience validating models against experimental data. Individuals who have a natural curiosity, a desire to solve problems, and a passion for scientific investigation are encouraged to apply.
- We are looking for those creative, smart, driven, detail oriented individuals who enjoy giving their all to tackle tough research problems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop data-driven insights & solutions with advanced analytics (machine learning, deep learning and statistical models) to extract insights from large proprietary agronomic data sources (millions of acres of farm data, terabytes of imagery and corresponding weather/soil/genetics data).
- Generate hypothesis and recommend data collection needs that has the potential to address farmer’s needs.
- Identify, implement, and present results of research on novel ways machine learning approaches can improve decisions, add value to services, and contribute to the advancement of ideas into the marketplace & agriculture.
- Conduct independent research, extend or improve in-house algorithms & collaborate with other data scientists to improve predictive capabilities.
- Break down complex business and technical problems into opportunities for analytical study.
Education and experience: PhD in Computer science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics or a related field and 5 years of relevant post-graduate work experience or demonstrated work experience in data science related roles required.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning theory and practice.
- Experience with Deep Learning algorithms, theory & applications is a plus.
- Proven ability to independently deliver end-to-end analytic solutions by asking the right questions, identifying necessary data sources, building predictive models, and producing actionable results.
- Statistical computing in at least one scripting language such as R, Python and MATLAB.
- Proficiency in at least one general purpose object-oriented programming language such as C , Java or C#.
- Proficiency utilizing scientific and high performance math libraries to translate data science ideas into working code solutions that can be migrated into production systems.
- Experience with Relational and NoSQL databases and Amazon Web Services is a plus.
- Experience with web crawling or utilizing web services to facilitate data collection is a plus.
- Proven ability to work in a team setting and ability to lead teams to complete complex projects on time and in budget.
- Proven ability in people and scientific group management mentoring data scientists, statisticians
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Familiarity with farming and/or agriculture strongly preferred, but not required.