Postdoctoral Position in Bioinformatics Leuven Belgium,
The Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) is one of the research departments of VIB (Vlaams Instituut Biotechnologie) located in KU Leuven Campus Gasthuisberg. CCB hosts 12 research groups with an employment of about 250 researchers, administrative and technical collaborators.
The laboratory of Professor Peter Carmeliet is focusing on the development of blood vessels (angiogenesis) and vascular metabolism, and consists of 20 junior researchers. The Lab seeks to recruit a dynamic, highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to join the team.
The focus of the lab is to characterize the role of metabolism during the process of angiogenesis in health and disease in order to identify novel therapeutic strategies. Under the supervision of Prof. Carmeliet, a team is currently set-up to analyze omics-data with bioinformatics tools and to provide a link between mass spectrometry related data analyses (metabolomics, proteomics), next-generation sequencing (RNA-sequencing, genomics including single-cell analyses) and endothelial cell biology. To enforce this team, we are seeking a talented bioinformatician (postdoc level) to support the development of novel tools or to improve existing computational tools to analyze and interpret generated omics data. S/he will be responsible for developing and improving state-of-the-art metabolic profiling (e.g. 13C metabolomics, integrative multi-omics analysis) in a highly recognized scientific environment. The candidate will develop and apply informatics tools that allow researchers to understand better the metabolic changes occurring during angiogenesis in health and disease.
You are responsible for:
- Working with a team of bioinformaticians and biologists to build the Lab s know-how in omics analysis, under the direct supervision of Prof. Carmeliet
- Adapting and developing innovative software tools and bioinformatics-platforms to perform streamlined data analysis for omics-technologies and tailoring these towards specific research questions
- Assisting scientists in data analysis and interpretation of data
- Organizing and troubleshooting practical work independently
- Communicating results in a professional manner
- Participating in high-level seminars
Your application file should contain:
- Complete CV
- Motivation letter
- List of publications
- Summary of past research
- Contact information or reference letters of 2 or 3 referees
- You have a PhD in computer science or bioinformatics or any related field
- You have strong data analytical skills and a fundamental knowledge of bioinformatics (R, Python, programming skills, machine learning) and previous experience in analyzing high-throughput data
- You are interested and motivated to work on an ambitious project in an open, dynamic, competitive and driven team
- Candidates are interested in analyzing and integrating complex omics- and clinical datasets, and in working in a multidisciplinary environment of experts in biomedical sciences, metabolomics, transcriptomics and bioinformatics
- You have a strong publication record (including at least one paper as a first author) in peer-reviewed international journals, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity of publications.
- You should have excellent communication skills in spoken and written English (proven knowledge of English is required, such as for instance TOEFL test)
- You should have a strong ability to handle multi-tasks spontaneously, meet timelines as well as work independently and accurate, have excellent organizational and team skills
- A dynamic working environment in which quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies and projects in biomedical research
- Excellent training conditions within a new, dynamic, team of experts in the field of omics profiling, angiogenesis and metabolism
- The opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary international cutting edge research lab (CCB offers Core facilities including: Imaging, Molecular Biology, Metabolomics, Histology, transgenesis and mouse facility, etc.)
- A competitive remuneration package, a stimulating scientific surrounding in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team (with English as main language)
- starting as soon as possible.
Find a Job Find Candidates