Policy Comms & Government Affairs - United Kingdom
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products.
- Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
- Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you.
- To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork.
- As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Department and Tea
- An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of the UK’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
- Our client is the UK subsidiary of a global healthcare company, focused on addressing unmet health needs worldwide.
- Operating in 140 countries, the company discovers, manufactures and delivers innovative medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies and animal health products.
- The UK is a significant market for the business and the role will focus on the human health side of the business.
- The successful candidate will be pivotal in establishing and leading the company’s key priorities from a national policy perspective, working across the business to identify opportunities, barriers and solutions on access and uptake of medicines to patients.
- The Policy, Communications and Government Relations Team is part of the company’s External Affairs Department, based at its headquarters in Hertfordshire. A busy and dynamic team, the team covers key stakeholder groups relevant to the human health business, including politicians, policy makers, media, think tanks, academics, KOLs, patient groups and employees. The EA team operates at the centre of the business, often working cross-functionally including with market access, outcomes research and the franchises.
- The role would suit a candidate who thrives on working in a fast paced environment, who is both analytical and strategic, enjoys working as a team player and is able to engage at a senior level internally and externally.
- The role will report to the Director of Policy, Communications & Government Relations.
- Regularly monitor and analyse the NHS, health and patient environment in which the company conducts its business to track and anticipate opportunities and threats related to the company across commercial, regulatory and health policy.
- Use intelligence, knowledge and insight to analyse and shape trends and policy, prioritise the issues and review and propose strategic responses and drive change.
- Provide senior management with regular policy stakeholder maps and environment updates, analysis and interpretation at a national policy level plus recommended responses/direction.
- Research and formulate company’s policy positions on key national policy issues and use to mobilize engagement on key issues and drive effective debate and action.
- Take a leadership role in building sustainable and effective relationships/networks with key stakeholders including ministers, civil servants, politicians, policy makers, media, think tanks, academics and patient groups.
- Initiate and/or drive the development of strategic and integrated public affairs campaigns and programmes either alone as company and/or in conjunction with third parties to shape and drive changes in company’s key priority areas.
- Represent the company or co-ordinate representation at key industry and stakeholder working groups, meetings and events.
Skills and experience profile:
- Graduate with five plus years of political and policy experience. To include in-house or agency experience within the pharmaceutical industry and/or wider health environment.
- Broad understanding of the health policy and pharmaceutical industry environment. Preferably with experience across health, pricing and reimbursement, HTA, NHS, industrial and/or R&D policy.
- Thorough understanding of the NHS including structures, incentives and levers and implications for access and uptake of medicines.
- A campaigning track record.
- Politically aware and with established political and health policy networks and contacts.
- Strategic thinker and ability to understand environmental changes and implications for access and uptake of innovative medicines.
- Excellent project management skills: ability to prioritise and deliver multiple initiatives at pace.
- Able to build credible and positive relationships, influence stakeholders and build advocacy at a senior level internally and externally and deliver results across cross-industry and cross-functional working.
- Ability to lead or contribute to development of strategy: think laterally and help shape solutions in a constantly changing business environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- In particular, experience of producing strategic and tactical plans and briefing materials plus ability to communicate technical and economic concepts and approaches to non-technical stakeholders.
- Gravitas and with strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research and market monitoring and interpretation skills.
- Positive and can do attitude.
- Our employees are the key to our company’s success.
- We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Job Segment: Pharmaceutical, Law, Animal Health, R&D, Science, Research, Legal, Veterinary