PhD student in Plant Biotechnology - Belgium
Ghent University (company)
- Last application date: 07/07/2017.
- Department: WE09 – Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology (KR01).
- Contract: 1 year contract, renewable (max. 4 years).
- Degree: Master degree in one of the following: Bio-engineering, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Biology (major: functional biology)
- Occupancy rate: 100%.
- Vacancy type: Academic Assisting Staff.
Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (GUGC-K) has a vacancy for a position of junior assistant, starting from 28/08/2017. It concerns a temporary full-time position for a renewable period of max. 4 years.
Profile of the candidate
- hold or expect to hold by starting date a master degree in one of the following disciplines: Bio-engineering; Biochemistry/Biotechnology or Biology. Exceptional candidates from other science/engineering backgrounds will also be considered.
- have a strong molecular biology and biotechnology background, a good knowledge of plant biology and plant physiology and have prior experience with basic plant handling, growing and phenotyping.
- be highly motivated to conduct research in the area of plant biotechnology, more specifically regarding cell elongation.
- have a solid academic track record, an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- Prior experience with (assisting to) teaching in an international setting is a plus.
- to conduct research in the area of plant biotechnology with a focus on cell elongation and post-translational modifications of cell wall proteins. The work will encompass detailed studies on two model organisms and will use various molecular methods including -omics technologies and next-generation sequencing.
- to assist his/her supervisor in teaching undergraduate general biology/plant biology/molecular biology and plant physiology practical courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea.
Starting date: August 28th 2017.
GUGC-K is the first campus of Ghent University outside Belgium. This brand new campus is located in Incheon, South-Korea. GUGC-K integrates educational and research facilities in a single building. Ghent University has the ambition to organize a first-rate, truly European education in Asia and to develop excellent research in the fields of Molecular biotechnology, Environmental and Food technology
While the candidate will mainly work under the supervision of prof. Stephen Depuydt located at the campus in Korea, he/she will also be assigned prof. Geert De Jaeger as a co-supervisor in Ghent. The candidate will have the opportunity to also spend time at the campus in Ghent during the course of his/her PhD.
Free student accommodation and a yearly travel budget are foreseen. GUGC-K is an equal opportunities employer.
Applications should be sent no later than 07/07/2017 by email to (Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org) with application letter, CV, copies of degrees, and an overview of the study results attached. Please merge all documents into one PDF file. A PDF version of the master’s thesis might be requested in a later stage. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application. Please mention ‘Full Time Junior Assistant’ in the subject line of the mail.