PhD student in cryo-EM structure determination of molecular machines - Sweden
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 13 May 2017
The research group
- From the discovery of the DNA structure and through understanding of central molecular mechanisms, direct visualization of biological substances have played a crucial role in revealing fundamental scientific phenomena.
- During the last two years the newly emerged high resolution electron cryo-microscopy (cryo-EM) have become a major source of the molecular information.
- Our group further explores the frontiers of the cryo-EM methodology to visualize macromolecules that play key roles in fundamental and medically relevant cellular processes. The lab benefits from the state-of-the-art cryo-EM equipment, including Titan Krios and Talos Arctica armed with the latest generation direct electron detectors, modern computational infrastructure and skilled microscopists.
- We are looking for a bright and ambitious individual that would be interested in further pioneering the development of cryo-EM, while applying it to the fundamental question of protein synthesis in mitochondria.
- The research will be conducted in the new state-of-the-art laboratory that combines experimental work with advanced computational analysis at the Science for Life Laboratory .
- A successful applicant will be supported by the team of two microscopists, a computational scientist and system administrator to assist the research progress.
- The PhD will involve development of methods that will be immediately applied to difficult biological questions studied in the lab, as well as through collaborations, and ultimately lead to deeper insights into DNA, RNA and protein function.
- Overall, it is a good opportunity for someone with a strong interest in science, who is looking to make an impact on a central and developing field.
Applicants are expected to be determined to resolve complex scientific problems, be proactive, have excellent communication skills, and show proven ability in cryo-EM related research.
Practical information about the position
- Start date: Upon agreement
- Length of employment: Four years.