PhD student in Biotech Data Science - Belgium
Ghent University (company)
- Last application date: July 15, 2017.
- Department: Department of Electronics and Information Systems (TW06) and Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology (KR01).
- Contract: 1 year contract, renewable (max. 4 years).
- Degree: Master degree in one of the following: computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, or (applied) mathematics.
- Occupancy rate: 100%.
- Vacancy type: Academic Assisting Staff.
Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (GUGC-K) has a vacancy for a position of junior assistant, starting from September 1, 2017. It concerns a temporary full-time position for a renewable period of max. 4 years.
Profile of the candidate
- hold or expect to hold by September 2017 a master degree in one of the following disciplines: computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, or (applied) mathematics. Exceptional candidates from other science/engineering backgrounds will also be considered.
- have a high level of comfort with computer programming (e.g., C/C++ and/or Python) and mathematics.
- be highly motivated to conduct applied research in the area of deep machine learning.
- experience with machine learning/computer vision tools (e.g., TensorFlow) and GPU programming is a plus.
- have an excellent academic track record, an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- to assist his/her supervisors in teaching undergraduate courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (informatics, bioinformatics, and/or mathematics).
- to conduct personal applied research in the area of (large-scale) machine learning, with a particular focus on applying novel deep learning techniques to biotech data that are visual and/or textual in nature (e.g., medical image analysis, hyperspectral image analysis, genomic data analysis, …).
- to assist his/her supervisors with tasks in ongoing and future R&D projects.
Starting date: September 1, 2017
GUGC-K is the first campus of Ghent University outside Belgium. This brand new campus is located in Songdo, a smart city in Incheon, South-Korea. GUGC-K integrates educational and research facilities in a single building. Ghent University has the ambition to organize a first-rate, truly European education in Asia and to develop excellent research in the fields of Molecular Biotechnology, Environmental Technology and Food Technology.
While the candidate will mainly work under the supervision of prof. Wesley De Neve and prof. Arnout Van Messem at the Center for Biotech Data Science of the UGent campus in Korea, he/she will also be assigned a co-supervisor in Ghent. In addition, the candidate will be able to spend time at the home campus in Ghent during his/her PhD studies. Free student accommodation and a yearly travel budget are foreseen. GUGC-K is an equal opportunities employer.
Applications should be sent no later than July 15, 2017 by email to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, and must include a motivation letter, a resume, copies of degrees, and an overview of the study results (transcripts). Please merge all documents into a single PDF file. A PDF version of the master’s thesis might be requested at a later stage. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application. The anticipated recruitment process is as follows: (1) resume screening, (2) shortlisting, and (3) interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.