- Last application date: the vacancy remains open until a suitable candidate is found. A first evaluation of the received applications will be done on June, 1, 2017.
- Department: KR01 – Centre for Environmental and Energy Research, Ghent University Global Campus
- Contract: 1 year contract, renewable (max. 4 years).
- Degree: Master of Science degree with strong focus on chemistry and engineering.
- Occupancy rate: 100%.
- Vacancy type: Academic Assisting Staff.
Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (GUGC-K) has a vacancy for a position of junior assistant, starting from September, 1, 2017. It concerns a temporary full-time position for a renewable period of max. 4 years.
Profile of the candidate
- You hold or expect to hold by September 2017 a Master of Science degree with strong focus on chemistry and engineering;
- You have a good knowledge on chemical/environmental catalysis and technology;
- Having practical laboratory experience with performing catalytic processes and/or have publications in catalysis and characterization of catalysts is an advantage;
- You have good knowledge and skills regarding mathematics and modeling, and you feel comfortable with programming;
- You are highly motivated to conduct scientific research in preparation of obtaining a PhD degree in the area of experimental catalysis and modeling, with special attention to environmental applications;
- You have an independent research and strong self-learning ability; a creative and inquisitive attitude is a must;
- You have strong didactic, communicative and management skills and a large interest in providing and supporting academic education;
- Educational experience and participation on extra-curriculum training, conferences,… is recommended;
- You have an excellent academic track record, an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- You design and perform high-quality scientific research related to the characterization and application of catalytic materials (e.g. metal organic framework (MOF) materials), with the aim to deliver a doctoral thesis in the research field of environmental catalysis and technology. The scientific research includes both experimental lab work and the mathematical analysis of the acquired data;
- You publish your research results in peer-reviewed international journals and actively participates in (inter)national conferences;
- You assist your supervisor in teaching undergraduate process engineering and chemistry courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea.
Starting date: September, 1, 2017.
GUGC-K is the first campus of Ghent University outside Belgium. This brand new campus is located in Incheon, South-Korea. GUGC-K integrates educational and research facilities in a single building. Ghent University has the ambition to organize a first-rate, truly European education in Asia and to develop excellent research in the fields of Molecular biotechnology, Environmental and Food technology.
The terms of employment at GUGC-K are comparable to those at the campus in Ghent. However, free student accommodation and a yearly travel budget are foreseen. GUGC-K is an equal opportunities employer. This position allows promising scientists to carry out research for a period of 4 years. Co-supervision is foreseen from the Ghent University home campus. There is also the possibility to carry out part of the research at Wuhan University of Technology, China, together with one of the colleagues of Prof. Heynderickx. PhD degree diploma will be from Ghent University, Belgium.
Applications should be sent no later than June, 1, 2017 by email to Philippe.Heynderickx@ghent.ac.kr with application and motivation letter, CV, copies of degrees, and an overview of the study results attached. Please merge all documents into one PDF file. A PDF version of the master’s thesis might be requested in a later stage. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.