PhD student (Early Stage Researcher) - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- For the Innovative Training Network (ITN) project MICROMETABOLITE - Research Training Network on the Microbial Enhancement of Bio-active Secondary Metabolite Production in Plants we are looking for an early stage researcher in the field of microbiology, agronomy and biochemistry.
- The researcher fellow will be hosted at the Laboratory of Microbiology, Fac. of Sciences, for a period of 36 months.
- Microbiomes associated with medicinal plants (e.g. members of the Boraginaceae family) may play an important role in modulating bio-active secondary metabolites.
- In MICROMETABOLITE the interaction between microbiomes, metabolomes and environment and the underlying microbial functions and mechanisms will be investigated. Suitable plant production systems integrating microorganisms will be developed to improve the production of desirable bioactive compounds.
- The topic of this particular PhD study is: Isolation and functional characterization of root endophytic bacteria from Boraginaceae that promote growth and affect plant.
- secondary metabolism Objectives
- to isolate and characterize endophyte and rhizosphere bacteria associated with Boraginaceae plants with high alkannin/shikonin (A/S) production
- to characterize selected strains from plants with high A/S content for plant growth promotion & colonization
- to evaluate the effect of bacterial strains on plant secondary metabolite production
Profile of the candidate
- Requirement 1 (early-stage researchers): Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by MICROMETABOLITE, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Requirement 2 (mobility rule): Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date.
- This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
- Requirement 3 (specialisation): Candidates should have a master level degree or equivalent in microbiology, agronomy, biology, biotechnology or plant physiology. Experience in the research scope of MICROMETABOLITE is a vital asset.
- Requirement 4 (English): Proficiency in English is essential, as it is the working language of the MICROMETABOLITE Network.
- Enrollment for PhD studies at the Doctoral School of Natural Sciences
- Individual research training trajectory, on-site supervision
- Full-time contract
- Salary according to Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions funding scheme including a gross monthly living allowance (3110 €), a net monthly mobility allowance (at least 250 €), and, if applicable, a net monthly family allowance (500 €).
- A correction factor will be applied per country, therefore the exact gross salary will be confirmed upon appointment.
- Please consider that the net salary may be 20-40% lower due to taxes, social benefit premiums etc. that vary between countries.
- Conducting research in a dynamic, international and multicultural team