This job is currently Archived,
PhD student Blueshell - Belgium
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Posted on : 08 March 2017
You will be involved in a research project - as PhD researcher- related to valorisation of marine biomass (ie shells from different marine organisms).
Your tasks involve:
- Different processing techniques to maximally explore the potential of valorisable products (ie classical extractions, fermentation, …).
- Screening and characterization for a battery of different bio activities relevant for different sectors (horticultural plant stimulant, anti-fouling, food-safety, nutritional….).
- Valorisation and evaluation of market potential of successful bio-active compounds.
- A 3yr contract with internationally competitive salary.
- The position is within the international project Blue-Shell (Eranet Marine Biotech), in which 5 European countries are involved.
- Work within an international challenging project in the Blue Growth area- an area that is indicated by EU as one of the promising growth sectors.
- Multi-disciplinary project dealing with several aspects of valorization- from source to market.
Profile of the candidate
- A recently obtained Master of Science, Master of Applied Sciences or similar level.
- You are willing to apply for an extra funding (supported by staff of ILVO and University Gent).
- You are able and interested in a PhD.
We expect the following skills from the applicants:
- Good knowledge and interest in marine biotech.
- Interest beyond basic science ie applied research for marketable bio-active products and interest in the valorisation of your results in the industry.
- Knowledge of enzyme chemistry, microbiology and plant sciences, as well as of analytical chemistry.
- Good communication skills including a very good command of the English language (written and verbal).
- Able to work independent.
- Working with a creative, critical and analytical mindset.
- You are willing to apply for extra funding.